Title Block Management With Attributes

jacob_fitzgerald

Hi everyone,

New to this whole forum thing, but my question is this.

We are using X-refs as a means of title block information in the form of attributed text revisions, dates, comments and persons involved ie. drafter, designer etc. This works great as you edit it once to update all drawings as they are multiple drawing files for each drawing, the downfall is as a civil engineering firm we tend to issue drawings individually or in groups of a couple at a time on occasion.

So im throwing it out there to all you script writing geniuses PLEASE help or throw some feed back my way as to how this may be fixed or a work around or a lisp file that would work for this kind of problem as i would like to ditch the reference all together if a more simplistic approach or lisp routine can be created. One thing a bloke her at work had said he had at his old job was a routine that took the information out of an xcel spread sheet and automatically updated the sheets?

I have attached a file containing the attributed information

Thanks in advance!

Jacob

X_10642[70]_SHEET.dwg

Edited by jacob_fitzgerald
new information

We use title blocks in layouts each is individual and have items like revisions which are sheet independant, this is where your xref can not be used. There is multiple ways of updating the sheets and using excel link is one of them. maybe a combination Xref for the project details and a seperate block for the individual items. If you make the first sheet with all details filled in then you can copy and make as many more as you like. I have stuff like ISSUED, renumber, dwgindex, all details, version, copy sheet 1.

Welcome to CADTutor!

I strongly encourage you to instead consider using Sheet Set Manager (SSM) to populate your title block's attributes with fields that reference your custom Sheet Set (i.e., project), and Sheet (i.e., sheet) level properties. One can update any number sheet's title block from SSM without opening a single sheet - including client name, project name, sheet title, sheet revision note, etc. - and only needs to open a sheet to actually edit the content shown (and I don't mean DREF/XREF).

It kills me to see how many folks are still using complex processes to manage such an integral component of plans production, when it can be so simple... A little bit of prior planning can go a long way.

Cheers