Going from Inventor to AutoCAD 3D

lotero24

Hello. I apologize up front if this has been asked before ( I couldn't see from a quick search) or if this has already been asked. But, I currently work with Inventor and have the past 6 or 7 years. I used to work with 3D in AutoCAD but it has been quite a while since most have moved to programs like Inventor. I have a possible new opportunity using AutoCAD 3D and I just thought I would ask if anyone had any tips on going back to AutoCAD from Inventor. Thanks!

Welcome to CADTutor! :) I can't wait to hear what JD Mather, one of our resident Inventor gurus will have to say on this subject. Sorry I don't have anything to offer, but greetings, but be patient, there are others who certainly will. It is rare that we have folks moving in the retro direction, away from Inventor, sounds painful, as one who can model in Autcad, but not Inventor.

You'll find it frustrating as AutoCAD will feel ungainly compared to Inventor and there will be features you wished you still had access to that will be missing from AutoCAD. Also, such things as parametrics and constraints are not as fully developed.

I would familiarize myself with the various methods for extracting 2D views of my 3D model for one thing.

Good point ReMark about view extractions, VIEWBASE which is now a command/feature in Autocad should feel pretty familiar I think, and should one be working with an INVENTOR object, there are further enhancements available than with a lowly Autocad 3D Solid.