Trim Problem

Barry_47

I tried to open your drawing but was met by a message asking me to supply a password to open it. What gives?

Try this. Use the EXPLODE command on the solid hatch first then try TRIM. Let us know what happens.

Might this be a case where you could use the HATCH grips, if you have them enabled? Like ReMark mentioned, that password protection makes it kind of difficult to help you.

I don't think you can trim a hatch, recreate the boundary, trim that, and then rehatch might be the only possibility. That worked on your example for me.

Sure you can.... :)

That's why I said "I don't think" because I can't :unsure: (I get the message - cannot TRIM this object), but I figured someone else might be able too, maybe it's an LT thing, because your video is exactly how I tested it, strange.

EDIT

A hatch created with pick point does trim, a hatch created with pick object doesn't

I tested my suggestion before I posted it and I was able to trim a solid hatch after exploding it. I usually test all my suggestions prior to posting. If I don't do so I usually mention it in my post.

I tested my suggestion before I posted it and I was able to trim a solid hatch after exploding it. I usually test all my suggestions prior to posting. If I don't do so I usually mention it in my post.

Sorry ReMark my post wasn't aimed at you, I had opened the OP's drawing after he posted the password, and my comment was based on that, I still can't trim a solid hatch if it was created by pick object, and I can't explode a solid hatch either.

I believe the TRIM problem may be because the Hatch is not continuous. I had to edit the boundary of the red Hatch so it doesn't intersect itself before I could TRIM it. Other than that, I don't know.

Trim Hatch.gif

No apology required.

I just tested both the "Pick point" and "Select Object" methods of hatching and in AutoCAD 2015 after exploding the solid hatch I can then trim no matter what method was used. I'm not sure how far back this technique works in full AutoCAD.

Wierd, just tried again, a solid hatch created with pick object won't trim, I tried explode and get the message "cannot explode hatch", but after that it will trim.

Yeah, that is odd. I can TRIM hatches without Exploding whether they're created by Pick Point, or by Object.... whether they're Associative, or non-Associative, and whether the boundary is retained, or not retained. AutoCAD2011 thru AutoCAD2015

A new day, just started again, and it still behaves the same, both hatches have exactly the same properties but the one on the right won't trim. Maybe LT does behave differently or have hidden properties.

HatchTrim.dwg

• 3 weeks later...

Recorded and converted to an Animated .gif with Camtasia Studio. An alternative is to use any of the free screen capture programs, Windows Movie Maker, and upload to Youtube.