Suppresing features in a part to make view representations

guitar-bimbo

My current design request is a shipping container with the sidewall cut out and another container welded to it basically turning an 8ft wide container into a 12ft wide container..

part of the process is cutting the sidewall out in 3 steps and welding 2 columns and a beam in the open sidewall area..

Steps

1) 1st vertical cut

2) 1st column welded into place

3) 2nd vert cut

4) 2nd column welded

5) 3 horizontal cut made for beam

6) beam welded into place

7) remainder of the sidewall is cut away once the columns and beam are in place.,.

Suppressing the columns and beams in the assembly model and showing them when needed is easy..

But suppressing the cuts in the sidewall and only showing them when needed I am having some trouble with..

View representations of a part with suppressed features doesn't seem to work..

Please help..

Jerry

First go to representations right click/ make new / rename it to hide. Then go to the object that you want to hide, You can use Right click/ Click Visibilty so you cannot see them, That's what I use all the time to hide object. I never use suppress , too many problems like level of details . Not a fan of it. Even you can use that when doing idw. for drawings with dimensions.

• 10 months later...

Did you ever come up with a solution? I need to suppress a feature in a part also but View Rep in a part does not seem to work at all.

Thanks

My current design request is a shipping container with the sidewall cut out and another container welded to it basically turning an 8ft wide container into a 12ft wide container..

part of the process is cutting the sidewall out in 3 steps and welding 2 columns and a beam in the open sidewall area..

Suppressing the columns and beams in the assembly model and showing them when needed is easy..

But suppressing the cuts in the sidewall and only showing them when needed I am having some trouble with..

View representations of a part with suppressed features doesn't seem to work..

Please help..

Jerry

Assembly feature suppression is not tracked by Level of Detail. An assembly feature is either on for all LOD's, or off. If you have two assemblies, one that is cut, and one that is not, that gives you two distinct assemblies that are different. To manufacture, order, and sell these assemblies you would need to create two descriptions, two part numbers, two drawings, etc... So you should create two assembly files and track them that way. Create the first assembly with what is needed, parts, assembly features and cuts. Turn off or on what you want to show. Then make the second assembly placing the first assembly in it. Then do the Level of Detail and features needed for that assembly. In this way if the first assembly is changed the second will reflect those changes, you won't have to change the same thing twice. This approach will allow you to create the views and drawings needed and also be able to find, track, and control the files that make up the two assemblies.

Edited by ecshclark

You can also make a derived component from an assembly. Create a part, go to Manage, Derive, and select the assembly . Check the components and representation you need to derive.