Zero thickness geometry when extruding

Akitirija

Hi everyone.

I am having problems extruding the upper stair of the model. This is so frustrating, I feel that this is a problem that is a recurrent problem for me (Zero thickness geometry).

This time I made all the stairs in one sketch, but I used the "Create Sketch from Selections" tool to make the upper stair a sketch of its own (specifically to avoid zero thickness geometry), and still it is happening. What am I doing wrong? stairs.pdf

I am very grateful for any help or hints, also on how to avoid this in the future.

stairs.SLDPRT

I have seen this error with my students - but I am not getting the error with your file.

Can you attach a screen shot while trying to create your first extrude-cut?

I do not see any closed profile selected.

Expand the Selected Contours at the bottom of that dialog box.

If there is anything in it - right click and Delete, then click inside the profile you want to extrude-cut.

Hmm, now on rebuild - I am getting error.

I am seeing this a lot in SolidWorks - I recommend switching to Autodesk Inventor.

Thanks, Mather. After some while I managed it by doing the lower stairs first. I don't like it when I don't understand the logic, though. We have to use SolidWorks at the school, otherwise I would have changed to Inventor, as a lot of professionals recommend that now.

I will try to get to the root of this problem later today - my students keep seeing this same error in my SolidWorks class.

Strange thing is - we never had this problem till this year in SWx 2014, but you are using earlier release. I thought it was a bug introduced in 2014 till I saw your file.