Lock a layer "visibility on" in a viewport

albroswift

Hello, all,

Did a search and didn't find anything, what I would like to know is it possible to lock a layer "ON" exactly the opposite of "Freeze" so no matter what the layer setting is in model space, the layer will always be visible in paper space?

autocad 2014

Thanks--

Al

I don't believe you can have a layer turned off or frozen in model space yet have it displayed in a layout's viewport. It evens sounds strange when you think about it.

I don't believe you can have a layer turned off or frozen in model space yet have it displayed in a layout's viewport. It evens sounds strange when you think about it.

I have my reasons.

Explaining your situation in some more detail might help us help you find a workable solution. Otherwise, like ReMark said, we can only guess.

The simple answer: If you want stuff to show in paper space and not in model space, then put it in paper space.

A work around (of sorts): You could do it with some annotative scaling trickery. Make the stuff that you do not want to see a block that is set to the same scale as the viewport with no other scales associated with it. Model space could be set to a "different" scale and those objects would not show.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I didn't see your responses come in, my email settings must need tweaking. I like the idea of guessing though, ReMark!

Here's my reasons: Creating shop drawings of various components of a structure.

Say I start with a "footprint" of a building "Base Layer" Sometimes I like to make this a block so there is no way I can accidently stretch anything. This will never change. Sometimes this is an Xref by the architect. Then I want to add a "Footing" Layer. These lines will typically be in some way related to and with various offsets of the base layer. Add a "Footing Dims" layer. Dimension as needed. create a layout "Footings" Repeat above for "Cast in Place Walls" "CIP Wall Dims", structural steel, light gage metal framing, etc. In the layouts I know I can freeze out the unwanted layers but the base starts to get cluttered with dimensions. eventually I will have 20 or 30 different layouts each representing a shop drawing for a different component. So I make some Layer states so I can switch back and fourth whether printing or adding layers and dims. I have to make sure all the layers are turned on before printing and then turn several back off when adding additional dimensioning. SO, it would be easier to simply leave the layers turned on in viewports and off in the model.

After posting I found a sticky in the beginners forum on the newer dimassoc logic and this may be useful, I haven't in the past liked dimensioning in paperspace but I may have another go at it. I have also tried dimensioning in viewport modelspace, but lots of zooming and then re-centering, and when I go back to the model it again is all cluttered up.

"The simple answer: If you want stuff to show in paper space and not in model space, then put it in paper space."

I suppose I could draw AND dimension in paperspace would there be any issues I would run into with that strategy? Scaling? Layering? Downside to that is I wouldn't be able to see relationships to other components even when I wanted to.

Clear as mud, no?

Thanks--

Al

ACAD 2014 Construction Shop Drawings with a white background.

Hope I'm not over posting and irritating anyone, tried guran's tip.

Created a drawing base.dwg

created a drawing viewports.dwg

created some layers on base.dwg

referenced it in viewports.dwg

created some layouts in viewports.dwg

Froze unwanted layers in said layouts

turn layers off on base.dwg, all layers still visible in model tab of viewports.dwg and all unfrozen layers visible in the layout tabs.

Do all my drawing on base.dwg, do all my viewports on viewports.dwg.

Kind of a strange way (by my thinking) to do it but it is exactly what I asked for, except needing to have to switch between 2 files.

Thanks--

Al

For the layers that you don't want to see in model space, change the transparency to 90 (for that layer - leave the geometry set to ByLayer), in a viewport there is the option to set the transparency for that layer independently so set that to 0, it won't completely make geometry disapear because you can only set transparency up to 90 and not fully 100%, but if this is just for visual effect it may help, you could also play with the color settings to get things to vanish in model space. You can do the same thing with your dims, or just use annotative dims that show up in paperspace at the correct viewport scale. Then in model space turn off the option to view annotative objects at all scales and turn the annotative scale to some scale that you don't use for any dims.

EDIT you can also just do it with color settings, layer colors can be set seperately for model and viewport. But even if you can't see them in model space they will still play a role with Osnap's

I have also tried dimensioning in viewport modelspace, but lots of zooming and then re-centering, and when I go back to the model it again is all cluttered up.

This is actually probably your best option. Locking the viewport is key to this method. Also, look into VPMAX for added flexibility. Model space will still be cluttered but you won't have to work there much.

That's how I always work. The model is a separate file and the layouts are separate files too.

Interesting, guran. Each layout a separate file? What is your primary use for Acad?

Interesting, guran. Each layout a separate file? What is your primary use for Acad?

I draw bridges, and there may be many hundreds of drawings for a large bridge. For a small bridge there may be 2-3 Models and 5-10 drawings.

For the layers that you don't want to see in model space, change the transparency to 90 (for that layer - leave the geometry set to ByLayer)... they will still play a role with Osnap's

Another good way to skin the cat...

Thanks everyone for all the help.