Dimensioning in 3D

MikeMc52

You will not be utilizing a layout with one or more viewports for plotting the drawing?

Keep in mind that dimensioning is basically a 2D operation so it will be important to keep the object being dimensioned parallel to the XY plane that you are in at the time.

Edited by ReMark

Thanks Remark,

I can beat it into submission, but I was hoping for something easier. I mostly draw only in model space and I would like to dimension there. My problem right now is that the dimension does not attach itself to the picked location.

Michael

The dimension will only "attach" itself if you 1) are working in the correct plane and 2) you have OSnaps enabled.

Do you know how to reorient the UCS?

The only way I can think of making dimensioning easier would be to create 2D blocks in model space of your 3D object using the FLATSHOT command. Once the views are created and assembled the way you want you dimension them much as you would any 2D drawing.

Have you plotted any of your 3D drawings yet? Just curious about the output.

RKent - Thanks for the info

Remark,

Most of my dimensions will not attach even when I am in the right plane (orwhat I think is the right plane) and I always use Osnap. And Snap. I really dolike to have things on snap when I can.

I can reorient the UCS. I think I need to work in this area a little more for getting the dimensions correctly placed.

I have plotted many 3D drawings and I get what I want. I am not sure how Iwill print them when they have to have title blocks on sheets. But I will crossthat bridge when i get there. Probablyjust print the page in 2D then plot the 3D dwg on the sheet.

Michael

Michael: If you would be so kind as to attach a copy of one of the drawings to your next post someone here will take a look at it. The drawing really only needs to have one 3D model in it to be useful.

In my opinion your title block and border belong in a layout. Your 3D model would be viewable in the layout if you use one or more viewports. The problem is your model space annotation, both text and dimensions, should be annotative since I am guessing you'll be wanting to print to some sort of scale. However, without a sample drawing, this is all conjecture on my part.

Model Layout Viewports.jpg

An example of a layout with four viewports showing a top, front, side and isometric view of a 3D solid model. Sorry, but I didn't have time to add dimensions, etc.

The title block and border, in white, are on their own layer and only exist in the layout. They are not in model space. Understand?

The viewports are those magenta colored rectangles. They are on their own layer and the layer has been set to "no print".

The viewports all have a scale of 1:30 (it was a metric drawing) but when it comes time to print we do so at a scale of 1:1 (1 unit = 1 millimeter).

Remark,

I have been studying the 3D stuffpast the drawing aspect. I have learned to use the USC better when dimensioningand labeling. And using paper space which I still have a ways to go.

I am attaching a drawing so you can see where I amtoday. I had to get this drawing out tothe fabricators so I just beat it until it looked like what I needed on theplot. This time next week I will have mytitle block in the right place with the block ready to ask for info. In addition I will learn how to set the annotationsso that I do not have to explode the dimensions and labels so I can see them inthe paper space.

Anyway thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Michael

Sump Drain Pipe Iso.dwg

LOL not if it is done correctly. I just have a little further to go to understand what I need to do so I do not have to explode them. That along with why the layers would not freeze in viewport mode.