in autocad 2015 some files are modified at open without user interaction +fatal error

ibach

When I open files in autocad, some of them get asterisk (*) in tab (indication that file has changed) at open. No user interaction between open and close, but autocad asks to save changes.

It takes 3 clicks on sane to remove * from tab, but only one is enough for actula save.

Strangely, it happens on a cca 50% of my files, not all of them.

I cannot pin point the cause, but I'm convinced that this is causing autocad fatal error wen closing application with multiple files open.

This error does allow to try to save file before exiting autocad, but than it freezes indefinitely and the file that save was attempted on is not usable any more.

So this is not cosmetic or benign problem.

Please share info on this error to help me solve this problem.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ibach

• ReMark

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

download the file here

extract it to same folder so xrefs can work

try opening 0100_-2.dwg, 0100_-1.dwg, 0100_+0.dwg, 0100_+1.dwg, 0100_+2.dwg at the same time.

At least one of them will have * in tab right after open.

I'm beginning to think that it is xref related, files with - heve same xref attached, and files with + have another...

oh..., and it does not happen in 2014...

I do.

When file is opened, just opened, no zoom , or any other user interaction, the file is (always was) considered unchanged by all versions of autocad.

In 2015 some files (not always the same files) when opened are not.

It, I'm now absolutely sure, causes Fatal Error in 2015 when closing multiple files by terminating application as described.

I've turned tabbed option off (file tabs on top screen, not layout), and error is gone.

Bug. A bad one.

Not file related.

You are mistaken. I said that there were things happening in the opening routine that cause changes to the files. I guess that I should have specified that these are custom things happening at opening but I thought that was understood.

Than it should happen all the time for same files... It does not.

It happens RANDOMLY for some of a lot of files.

I did think it was file related too... but no...

went to registry and set FILETABSTATE to 0.

Asterisk does not appear (well tabs do not appear at all),

close application with a lot of files opened does not end up in fatal error and all is well.

Oh, I see what's happening here. I'm not saying it should be happening for you. I said that I can't test your files because that is the way the system is here.

Edited by RobDraw

I just hope you do not get the fatal error part a lot. The save prompt is not what bugs me at all.

Still testing with FILETABSTATE on 1 and rest of the variables (that i know of) FILETABPREVIEW FILETABTHUMBHOVER off.

Did not get the error yet. It does not mean i will not.

NEWTABMODE is on for now.

Testing with some simple files now...

So AutoCAD is informing you, by the presence of an asterisk on the tab, that it suspects there has been a change to the drawing. If you know for a fact that nothing has been added or deleted then ignore the asterisk, close the drawing, and tell AutoCAD you don't want to save your changes (since none were made). I don't see this as being a problem. Some humans, not all, are still smarter than machines or are you one of those people who are always second guessing themselves?

I DO see the problem.

FATAL ERROR after clicking save OR do not save

If error happens after save was clicked, the file get corrupted.

Read the first post.

And I do know what the asterisk stands for.

And I do not think that testing is second guessing, but I am guessing what the problem is. If I knew what it is, I would not have to guess.

Edited by ibach
I was not polite pissed by work...

To Rob:

Most of those tiles contain one of two x referenced files, but I'm not opening the xref file it self. Xref gets loaded with parent files multiple times.

To ReMark:

Sorry for me being pissed of by work, but on 24/7 again for a month.

Of course I used audit and all variations of purge (-purge etc.).

Overkill I do not use too often because there is nothing to kill over in those files :) (I do need overlapping lines, but i do overkill polys when needed).

There was a good lisp for repetitive audit and purge I wrote a while ago, but I've lost it with HDD, not that it matters... I will write it again.

Knowing you, you could have a god lisp to expel AEC from files (instead of exporttoautocad that I sometimes use, but to no avail in most cases when some AEC from archicad are present, and yes, I did it with these files too.), but that is another pair of sleeves completely though.

The only other reason i can think off causing the problem is AEC, but 2015 does not mention any AEC in these particular files. 2014 on the other hand DID, so I used exporttoautocad from 2014, losing my saved ucs... created those manually again (not importing from old files).

Opening in 2015 and saving for 2013 causes AEC to reappear in 2014 which I do not understand.

Edited by ibach
demention

No offense was taken so we're all good. Just trying to pare down the list of possible culprits that's all.

The fact that you get a fatal error so readily is troublesome though.

Are you working off of a network?

What kinds of file sizes are you dealing with?

Troublesome indeed.

No network thank the lord.

File sizes are from 1 to 3.5 MB, not even close to my usual sizes (15-100 MB).

Hardware is respectable QuadCore Intel Core i7-3820, 3600 MHz (36 x 100) on not so respectable Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3, with nice G Skill RipjawsZ F3-17000CL9-4GBZH 16 gb, Intel Raid 0 Volume (212 GB) (2xSAMSUNG SSD 830 Series) and with nVIDIA GeForce GTX 470. Tuned to a finest pitch of precision and stability, not too overclocked though, but on idiotic windows 8.1 x46 system also tuned to the extreme of stability if that will ever be possible to achieve with microsoft systems(no errors in logs...wait... ohoooho there is but one!, latter).

So i do not think that it has anything to do with data throughput from to and back... This machine can take much more stress than these small files... It had already.

The error in the event log under application is as follows:

Faulting application name: WSCommCntr4.exe, version: 4.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x52df746e

Faulting module name: WSCommCntr4.exe, version: 4.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x52df746e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000015a1e

Faulting process id: 0xdac

Faulting application start time: 0x01cfd1833b0eaaaf

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\WSCommCntr4\Lib\WSCommCntr4.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\WSCommCntr4\Lib\WSCommCntr4.exe

Report Id: abd89bc1-3d7e-11e4-82ba-50e549e1bb26

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

That would be info center....

I be damn if I see HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R20\ACAD-D001:409\InfoCenter InfoCenterON in registry!!!!

It s gone in 2015. Do not know how to kill it but i know who knows...

Hehe, lets try

Edited by ibach
dementia again