2D Environment.

Damon :)

Because they offer enhanced visualization of 3D objects. There are quite a few different ways they can be generated automagically by the software, Viewbase, Solprof, Soldraw, Flatshot, or Flatten, just to name a few.

I read the question not about a need for isometric drawings, but whether to create them from scratch in 2D, or whether to create them by building a 3D model then creating 2D projections.

I haven't done the former for many years, but I suppose it depends on several factors, not the least of which is whether the draftsman and/or software is capable of 3D modeling (ie LT vs Full)

It goes back to when we didnt have CAD and used pen and paper. There was no 3D.

The best way to visualise pipe runs etc. in those days was to draw them in isometric.

And as nestly says not all software can do 3D even now.

That's great thank you. So why is it useful to still draw isometrics in the 2D environment?:glare:

There may be an occasion where a very small iso is easier than doing a 3D model but for most anything the model is a better idea. Easier to use existing blocks, text, dims, etc. on a 3D model. If something changes you only change it in one place.

The only real reason I can think of to use 2D Iso Projection is if you like it enough to use it, you know, nostalgia.