Xref - can't Edit In Place

fostertom

I have a floor plan dwg Xref'd into 2 other files;

firstly Xrefd into a Master dwg;

secondly attached as a Reference into a Microstation dgn file.

To start with, in the Master dwg, I could Edit In Place, and the change would propagate through both to the floor plan dwg and from there to where it is attached in the dgn file.

But now something's changed and when I try to open Edit In Place in the Master dwg I get:

"Xref cannot be checked out for editing

[File name}

A file lock already exists on the drawing"

XEDIT = 1.

Is it because the floor plan dwg is ref'd into 2 drawings, so isn't allowed to be In Place Edited in either of them? The problem continues even when I close Microstation, and even when I Detach the Ref'd dwg from the dgn file.

Are you on a network and could anyone else be accessing that drawing? I get that message when someone else is "in" the drawing I want (occasionally it is me in the background!)

I edited my post since you answered.

No, not network, single computer. I guess it thinks that I'm 'in' the floor plan dwg in two different files, even after I Detach in one of them.

But at first it didn't mind anyway. Some setting has changed?