Grr...Palette sharing.

JADT

I use palettes with some funky tools on. My colleagues have seen said palettes and tools and want in!

My palettes are located on the network - admin have given me read/write permissions to this directory and anyone else read only.

I have ordered my tool palette file location options tree to:

1. network palette location

2. local user palette location.

I have ordered colleagues machines location options to:

1. local users

2. network palette location.

on doing this colleagues machines throw error saying unable to load catalogue file - says this for each palette as i click ok (.atc)

then tried straight forward export palette to same location on network and tried simple import palette from that location which also threw up an error stating could not load palette as it is not a valid palette file (.xtp)

I've done palette sharing before and was quite happy with how it worked for some reason something is falling over...or i've forgotten something

i also tried exporting my profile .arg and tried to import the profile on another machine but that stated it was an incompatible file type???

both machines win 7 vanilla autocad 2014

all help gratefully received

Read here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?77789-Shared-Tool-Palettes

And here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?27804-Networking-ToolPalettes/page2

There are many threads that cover this topic. Have a search and read up on what you find. Basically, you want to have the same drive mapped to a directory on a network and only one person has admin rights to write files to the folder, usually a "CAD manager" role. :)

Hi TZ,

thanks for links but i have already done all that and as i stated i am managing the palettes with correct permissions on the network drive.

when i map colleagues tool palette location the machines throw up the stated errors.

hmmm... something's amiss. Screen grab attached of my optioins screen and the directory location on the server

palette (Small).jpg

• 2 months later...

Turned out some 'routine' maintenance on the network fuddled some permissions on the drives. The permissions were put back as I advised and booom. everything was sharing perfectly now I am palette king in the office with my very own trumpet to blow...no seriously I have a trumpet that I blow so that my colleagues know there are new things afoot in palette world. I knew I had done 'my side' of things correctly.