Visual Basic vs Visual Basic.net??

j_spawn_h

Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) is an ActiveX COM API language, whereas Visual Basic (VB) is one of multiple .NET API languages... VBA cannot directly access the .NET API, whereas .NET can directly access COM through early/late-binding, or dynamics (for newer .NET Frameworks).

Given available functionality, and that both languages require code compiling, I'd personally recommend you opt for .NET - note that I didn't specify which language - .NET API is not only more capable, but also requires a much more capable IDE in Visual Studio, etc. that VBA's IDE cannot even attempt to compare.

If you really want to learn VBA, do so, just keep in mind that you're ultimately limiting your capability.

As for where to go for classes, that's a tough one... I'm an odd combination of self taught, with occasional guidance from the many that mentor us who are struggling to learn... I'm not that smart, so if I can do it.... :beer:

Cheers

If you are only wanting to program for AutoCAD and nothing more, then VBA is simpler and you can do most things with it. But then another question is, for which version of AutoCAD are wanting to program? In AutoCAD 2014 the VBA engine VB7.1 was brought in which is not fully compatible with the earlier VB6 VBA engine. So some programs might not work on certain versions of AutoCAD. But .NET will work on all versions of AutoCAD.

If you intend learning to program for a wider scope than just AutoCAD then I would definitely go down the .NET road and learn one of those languages. If you cannot already program in a Basic language I would recommend you learning C#. There are far more examples freely available on the web than for VB.NET. You are the only one who can decide on which language you learn, based on your own experience and what you want to achieve.

Where to take a class is a very hard question. Initially I enrolled at a private business college close to where I lived, took a weeks holiday from work and did a weeks crash course. That got me started and from there I studied and got qualified. I have since learned a lot more here and in other forums from the great mentors that we have to help us and its for free! There are a multitude of ebooks out there that will guide you along a course of study and most of them are also free. If you are using AutoCAD (which is not specified in your profile) then you have the free Developers Guides that are available to you. The only thing that it will really cost you, is time, your own time. Learning to program is not something that is done quickly, it can take quite a while, but that is mainly dependant on your own ability to learn.

Good luck.

... Even AutoCAD for Mac? :unsure:

:P

I don't know the answer to that one :unsure: Perhaps I should have said Windows versions of AutoCAD ;)

But as .NET is Windows I would think it unlikely.

It's good to see your Fridays are better than your Mondays, when you are on such form perhaps you should work the weekend :P :rofl:

It's good to see your Fridays are better than your Mondays, when you are on such form perhaps you should work the weekend :P :rofl:

I do actually (work most weekends)... That is when I am able to do most IT administration, after a full week of CAD/Operations tasks (i.e., the five deadlines I have today, and the new MFP lease that arrived yesterday, etc.)... I'm like Detective Officer Nicholas Angle, and don't know how to switch off. :rofl:

Cheers

Do you think that we frighten off the OPs? There was another recent thread where the OP posted his question and never came back.

That's me done for this week until Monday morning, enjoy your weekend doing IT admin :lol: :rofl: :ouch:

Do you think that we frighten off the OPs? There was another recent thread where the OP posted his question and never came back.

Methinks it more likely that programming generally, and the implicit effort needed to become adept is at fault... If that has happened.

That's me done for this week until Monday morning, enjoy your weekend doing IT admin :lol: :rofl: :ouch:

It's not prison! Sheesh. :rofl:

I sit on my screened back patio, working on my laptop (RDP), whilst the captivating Mrs. BlackBox works on her tan (hooray Florida!)... When she's too hot (and she's smokin!), she heads in for some cold agua, and offers to get me another frosty brew. :thumbsup:

I sit on my screened back patio, working on my laptop (RDP), whilst the captivating Mrs. BlackBox works on her tan (hooray Florida!)... When she's too hot (and she's smokin!), she heads in for some cold agua, and offers to get me another frosty brew. :thumbsup:

That's not working, that's a holiday :roll: But I do envy you your Florida weather, we have thunder storms and pouring rain at the moment and its going to stay like that for a while now. Our sunbathing is over for this year, it will soon be time for getting out the snow shovels. :cry:

That's not working, that's a holiday :roll:

Technically, it's not a holiday if I'm getting paid for it. :thumbsup:

But I do envy you your Florida weather, we have thunder storms and pouring rain at the moment and its going to stay like that for a while now. Our sunbathing is over for this year, it will soon be time for getting out the snow shovels. :cry:

Tell me about it - Rain, rain go away!

ct.florida.weather.jpg

When the weather is like this, I work in our home office, where captivating Mrs. BlackBox has our coordinating PB desks; hers white, to my black, of course. ;)

Technically, it's not a holiday if I'm getting paid for it. :thumbsup:

Tell me about it - Rain, rain go away!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51002[/ATTACH]

When the weather is like this, I work in our home office, where captivating Mrs. BlackBox has our coordinating PB desks; hers white, to my black, of course. ;)

That would be mat black of course. ;)