2016 format

Epicurwin

We coming up to our renewal on our subscriptions and one factor we're thinking about is when they are going to update the file format for CAD. I can't find any info about it online. Does anyone know if it will change to 2016? We had 2010 then 2013 so it seems like they change every three years.

That's what I thought. Expected but no guarantee. We have two standard and two ultimate licenses right now and we're thinking of letting go a the standards after the file change. We can't usually have every license going full force so we think if we really need an up-to-date program after we stop renewing the standard versions we might just start renting quarterly or monthly.

All of the new versions of AutoCAD can be saved down to earlier versions, so compatibility should not be a big issue, especially if you are using vanilla AutoCAD and none of the verticals. But there will certainly be some compatibility issues with the new features when saving down to earlier versions, but that was always the case with every new release.

I can't find any info about it online. Does anyone know if it will change to 2016?

FWIW -

You're likely to not 'know' until Autodesk formally announces it, as anyone who does 'know' prior is a Beta Tester and subject to nondisclosure agreement (NDA). Many company's have one or more employee sign up as a tester just to cull for essential information that might influence such decisions as this.

Cheers