How To Draw This In AutoCAD?

basty

The car you posted was not created by a drafting program, but a hand-drawn illustrator program (my best guess anyways). AutoCAD would be the last program you'd want to use for an illustrated image such as the transparent car body image from above.

How it's possible to make such as illustration with a hand (sketch)? It looks very neat.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• basty

• f700es

• Dana W

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are some talented individuals in the illustration industry. They usually have real images they work from, tracing a lot of times then make a composite of multiple illustrations. I know a few guys in the industry. :)

There are some talented individuals in the illustration industry. They usually have real images they work from, tracing a lot of times then make a composite of multiple illustrations. I know a few guys in the industry. :)

If you know the guys, is this mean you could do something to help me?

I actually never being taught a projection like this in my college. The only projection being taught are isometric and dimetric. I am a mechanical engineering myself. I wonder where was this lesson is taught? In school or college? Would somebody teach me this projection? I still not be able to construct a polygon into this kind of projection. Would somebody tell me in detail to construct a polygon to this projection? I would like to be a draughtsman artist which able to create such as below illustration:

kimblecutaway47b02cfbuy9.jpg

Just about any illustration program has the ability to do this but you need a TALENTED artist to weld the tools to get these results.

Adobe Illustrator

Adobe.jpg

Corel Draw

corel.jpg

Inkscape (free)

Inkscape.jpg

Xara

Xara.jpg

Canvas

canvas.jpg

Without a doubt, there is some talent involved with the illustration examples shown. It would be interesting to know the techniques used for the old, hand drawn versions. Certainly, photos taken of the vehicle at various phases of assembly - with a camera at a constant position/lens geometry - would assist the effort.

. . . . I still not be able to construct a polygon into this kind of projection. Would somebody tell me in detail to construct a polygon to this projection? . . . .

With regard to perspective projection, it is all just about geometry. As such AutoCAD is a pretty good choice to explore the process.

It does not look like my original post made much of an impact. In hind sight, I should have chosen a better elevation. I'm going to stick with it, and just add some more info to the drawing to see if this clarifies the technique I was trying to demonstrate.

HexPerspective2.dwg

Without a doubt, there is some talent involved with the illustration examples shown. It would be interesting to know the techniques used for the old, hand drawn versions. Certainly, photos taken of the vehicle at various phases of assembly - with a camera at a constant position/lens geometry - would assist the effort.
And a slide projector aimed at a drafting board helped a little too. A long time ago in 1972, I was involved in some tech illustration of a certain vehicle's cockpit & instrument panel in a very very minimal way. I still probably shouldn't say which one, but two of them blew up, they carried a big orange disposable belly tank, and took off straight up.

Damn, Dana! I'm not sure how details such as that are treated but, if permitted, that would make a very impressive line item on your resume.

Edit: Explosion's notwithstanding.

Edited by SEANT
Line added

Damn, Dana! I'm not sure how details such as that are treated but, if permitted, that would make a very impressive line item on your resume.

Edit: Explosion's notwithstanding.

Well, like I said, it was very very minimal, about a 6 hour task even by hand. I had to trace over an isometric drawing of the instrument panel structural layout, just the general shape, from paper copy to ink on mylar. Considering the lack of detail, I could have given the Sistine Chapel ceiling a good go.:rofl:

There were other guys tracing slide projector and light table images of the control panel inserts. Honestly, slide projectors hung temporarily from wire ties in the ceiling aimed at a steeply angled drafting table? Whatever works. More people were air brushing in some light and shadows.

It was all about "Camera Ready Art" for a magazine article to assure the public that the thing was actually in the works. You'd think some technical artwork had been planned into the project at some point. Naaaaaah.

The rest of my time with that company was spent drawing schematics for electronics equipment racks. I get more street cred for having lived across the street from a senior NASA mission manager for 17 years back in Maryland. ;)

This is a more detailed but similar drawing. This is not the one I was working on. This one looks pretty free handed.

shuttle001.jpg

Edited by Dana W

And a slide projector aimed at a drafting board helped a little too. A long time ago in 1972, I was involved in some tech illustration of a certain vehicle's cockpit & instrument panel in a very very minimal way. I still probably shouldn't say which one, but two of them blew up, they carried a big orange disposable belly tank, and took off straight up.

I think the process today is to import a photo or render of the object and start the illustration on top of that. Still very hard to do imho.

I think the process today is to import a photo or render of the object and start the illustration on top of that. Still very hard to do imho.
Yup! Very hard to do. There were times when I had to resort to taping a hard copy to a south facing window (we used to call it the vertical light table) and hand trace it, then take that to the drafting board and do straight lines and non-wiggly curves. I don't use a light box and magnifying glass to examine my photo negatives any more either. :D Sometimes though, I really miss the analog days.

I need to pick up a light box (or make one). A guy I worked with (at a particular doughnut company in NC) used a light box a bit. He had a process where he would use rendered images as a base and then hand draw over the images and then combine with digital images of logos and such. He achieved a very nice effect with it. He was a total (another name for Richard) but he did have talent.

I need to pick up a light box (or make one). A guy I worked with (at a particular doughnut company in NC) used a light box a bit. He had a process where he would use rendered images as a base and then hand draw over the images and then combine with digital images of logos and such. He achieved a very nice effect with it. He was a total (another name for Richard) but he did have talent.
Lightbox? This isn't 1978 anymore! Lol.... How about a tablet instead?

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-s

Hahahaaaaa ain't we cute ;)

My desk for you sir :P

work-desk.jpg

(crappy iPod photo)

Yes, Wacom Intuos tablet as well as Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 w/ Wacom pressure sensitive S-pen. While I do like all of them they lack that tactile "feel" of real medium. You know what I mean? Still nice to have though.

Sean

Hate that feel. I can't even read my own name when I sign the machine at the Autozone, or Fed-Ups, the grocery store, the bank....

Much practice to get a good signature out of my Galaxy Note 10.1 but still crappy on the desktop tablet. To me they have a completely different feel (or I am just stupid).

Nice, Sean!! Showed me up haha.

I just feel like using Layers in an illustrator software package is much more efficient than the old lightbox method. :)

Oh I know, just giving you a hard time ;) I am still the stupid one that can't use his Wacom on his desktop.

Much practice to get a good signature out of my Galaxy Note 10.1 but still crappy on the desktop tablet. To me they have a completely different feel (or I am just stupid).
I have a 27" touch & pen screen. It looks like poopie trying to write on the vertical screen. I sign my emails just to mess with my relatives. "What is that on there?"

Late to this discussion but let me add this for some "perspective". AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop, etc... these software tools are used to create all kinds of images. And while one or the other will do it's unique thing there are some overlaps in each as well. My point to add is that no matter what tool you use there are always more than one way of creating an image. And what always amazes me is how realistic and life-like these images can be. And never forget that each time you impress yourself with a terrific image, there is some artist out there who can take a pencil and a piece of paper and by hand recreate it with exacting detail. I went to college with a girl who could turn around in her desk and make a sketch of the person sitting behind her in only a few minutes. And the realistic look of her sketches was something to behold. I never have mastered this art, but I used to be pretty good at perspective drawing. Then I got my hands on AutoCAD and I never do perspective drawing anymore. I let AutoCAD or some other app do all that for me. This is why I always have such an appreciation for people who can create art with only a pencil and a piece of paper.