• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• Hansl

• lrm

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

*Shrugs* Mock me all you want.

For all you AutoCAD lovers who think it's flexible, let me share some specific movements that are happening in my direct industry, which is the AEC Industry. These are realities that are fast approaching and AutoCAD, if it were as flexible as people believe, would be able to be a usable platform for the future of technology. Or you can simply admit that it can't:

Augmented Reality:

http://youtu.be/Ha7WpBdJSbo?list=PL1l-56xsb_mClWrAdyhMAqpQ1KEsOibRM

Data and Information Solutions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO0cifmYalM

If AutoCAD was "flexible" it would be able to be a platform that can produce specific, data-rich models and environments. AutoCAD = drawings and geometry, that's it. Industries need more than that, and it takes data and information handling for it to be possible.

It all depends are what the definition of "flexible" is. I think the two of you are talking about different sides of the same coin.

What is "flexible" for one of you is "too rigid" for the other and vice versa. Agree to disagree.

'AutoCAD = drawings and geometry, that's it'

Absolutely so!

3d and 2d.

autocad is not bim.

Drawing and geometry are not going to disappear in any industry

Bim is for buildings, so is revit.

I think we are moving from 2d on towards 3d with Allplan just to get 3D reinforcement into geometry and drawings infrastructures. Revit are just a little bit poor when it comes to detailing and rebar

From me To you

Some Bold statements

I think we are moving from 2d on towards 3d with Allplan just to get 3D reinforcement into geometry and drawings infrastructures.
So you're moving on from AutoCAD to another program? Hmm... if AutoCAD was "flexible" then you wouldn't have to now would you. :)

Revit are just a little bit poor when it comes to detailing and rebar.
Reinforcement/rebar tools and detailing in Revit are just fine for the rest of the design community.

Let's not get too hung up on "Revit". I'm including all specific parametric CAD applications, although Revit is my chosen industry's standard. JD and SuperCAD will back me up on Inventor/SolidWorks for manufacturing design.

• 2 weeks later...
There are so many CAD softwares better than AutoCAD in capability of 3D modeling such as Catia, Solidworks, Unigraphics, Pro Engineer, Autodesk Inventor, ICEM surf, etc.?

So why you use AutoCAD?

That's a matter of opinion. It almost always boils down to what the user is most familiar with and their preference. I recently worked with a guy who could run circles around me using VersaCAD, for 2D stuff anyway. As for 3D, I find AutoCAD, yes, plain old vanilla AutoCAD is terrific. When doing real manufacturing and fabrication, Inventor is my fav...but others prefer SolidWorks, etc...

Dont start me on civil 3d programmed by boffins not real engineers some things we took for granted in other software 20 years ago are a pain in CIV3D how many versions now ? and we still dont have a import/export styles I am talking about say to excel to create and modify. The software I was a state manager for you could import a text file with hundreds of styles none of this get something from some one else add modify. We have around 550 styles the original author broke every style down to a single layer labl-arc labl-line llabl-text labl-stuff just want labl. I have had a go at changing but its hundreds of styles. At least there is PURGESTYLES.

Surface editing add a triangle just blame someone else the software is not having a good day we can spend an enourmus amount of time doing what was 3 picks in the other software but we all know CIV3d knows better than us. Mesh is to big so create a external file code for UH OH.