Flattened for Sheet Metal

shaisyuki

Hi, I'm new to autocad 2014. I'm involved a lot with sheet metal. Is there any flattend command?

For example : I draw a 3d model metal based. Then I use flatten command to flat the model so I know how the model looks in sheet metal before punching and bending process.

*theres a flattened command in solidworks. Wondering is there similar thing in autocad 2014

Welcome to CADTutor. :) There aren't any sheet metal friendly commands like you are after in Autocad, although Inventor does support such needs, likely virtually identical to Solidworks command options, neither of which I use.

Yes, there is a FLATTEN command in AutoCAD. It can be found in your Express Tools.

From AutoCAD Help:

"FLATTEN creates a 2D representation of selected objects and projects them onto the current viewing plane. FLATTEN results in 2D objects that retain their original layers, linetypes, colors and object types where possible. You can use FLATTEN to create a 2D drawing from a 3D model, or you can use it to force the thickness and elevations of selected objects to 0."

Personally I think you would be better off if your were doing your sheet metal work in Inventor not in AutoCAD.

....*theres a flattened command in solidworks. Wondering is there similar thing in autocad 2014

Why are you comparing SolidWorks to AutoCAD? There is not a similar tool in AutoCAD, but you can get an add-in for AutoCAD.

If you are doing software comparisons - Autodesk Inventor is the equivalent product to SolidWorks and has sheet metal tools.

Flat Pattern.jpg

Yes, there is a FLATTEN command in AutoCAD. It can be found in your Express Tools.

Be careful here, Autocads Flatten command just shows a projection of the geometry on a 2D plane, ie it puts everything on Z=0.

What the Solidworks command does would be better described as "DEVELOP" or maybe "UNBEND" where it calculates what shape you need to cut from a flat sheet to enable it to be folded into the finished shape.

To load the program use the APPLOAD command just as you would for a lisp routine. Under File of Type there is an option for Visual LISP Executables (.vlx). I'm assuming Pedit3D would be the command to run it but I'm not 100% sure.