How to bend or fold sheet metal?

Sengna

hotpan.jpg

I have never used sheet metal in inventor before, Is it possible if i want to bend this pan along the red line? I tried to use Bend or Fold commands but I was unable to get it. I want to connect the gaps on the flange, what command do i use?

I do not see anything different in the part file than your attachment.

Your design intent is unclear.

Forget for a moment that it is thin sheet metal - model just the finished outside form as solid.

While I work on this - have you installed all Service Packs and Updates for your version of Inventor?

No, i have not. how do i know when autodesk release the service pack? can i set up the reminder?

JD this might work too, what i want to learn is that i don't know how to bend where the red arrows are, i use bend and fold command but i was not able to do it. Any suggestion.

Vpan.jpg

Edited by Sengna

Does inventor know when there is tool interference? I am not sure a typical sheet metal brake (break) could make all those bends. Is there a tool that can make adjacent 90 deg bends without squashing the ones on the other side of the corner?

I think in real life, I'd want to form the creases in the pan prior to bending the sides.

Does inventor know when there is tool interference? I am not sure a typical sheet metal brake (break) could make all those bends. Is there a tool that can make adjacent 90 deg bends without squashing the ones on the other side of the corner?

I think in real life, I'd want to form the creases in the pan prior to bending the sides.

I don't know that either, i have very little knowledge about inventor, there is a tool called: Bend in inventor but i don't know how to use it yet. Still looking for some online tutorial.

Does inventor know when there is tool interference? I am not sure a typical sheet metal brake (break) could make all those bends.
It knows to throw and error when to flanges touch so you can then use corner relief or another chosen method to get round that problem but it does not know if our sheet metal break will fail to make the part in real life (ie crushing bends). I can always simulate and change the bend order in the unfold and refold tools.

Bend in inventor but i don't know how to use it yet. Still looking for some online tutorial.

The bend tool is not in the sheetmetal module it is in the .itp part file module.

The bend tool is not in the sheetmetal module it is in the .itp part file module.

If i know how to use Bend tool, can i still use that tool to bend along the red arrows even in .ipt file module? do you know any good tutorial of how to use this tool?

Possibly yes. The bend tool does not need any special training you simply sketch a line click bend (on the ribbon click Model tab Modify panel Bend Part) and it will ask you a radius and angle simple. You can use the built in tutorials inside Inventor or a quick peek on youtube but I am sure you will find it very easy to use. You do have to follow some simply bend rules thou so it will bend.

There is no advantage to using Bend over Fold? In fact, for sheet metal you should use Fold and NOT Bend.

I would not use either for this design.

I agree JD.

Sengna bend is only another option (more than one way to skin a cat). All the functions in sheetmetal are focused to work around sheetmetal parts in real life however you can model a part in a standard .itp then bring it into sheetmetal and unfold it so you are not restricted to only unfolding sheetmetal parts.