M&E CAD Technician - Need some clarification on BIM

Carl80

The company i work for has decided to implement BIM by January 2015 as more and more tenders we receive are asking for it.

Its been left to me to figure it all out. I've had a look online about BIM but i can only really find general info. I can't really find anything on how it will affect the day to day lives of the people actually doing the drawings.

So i have a few questions and would really appreciate any feedback:

1. I currently use AutoCAD 2014, will this become obsolete when BIM comes in?

2. I understand Revit is the most popular BIM software, are there any alternatives?

3. If i did go with Revit, what version would i need? (MEP i assume???)

4. I only really plot positions of lights, sockets, containment, circuitry details etc. Would i now need to do this in 3D?

1. Yes.

2. No. People say there is, but trust me, Revit is currently the only application that supports the true BIM process. In fact, the BIM marketing movement arose "from" the Revit platform when it was originally being marketed to architectural firms.

3. Just get the Building Suite, which comes with all three disciplines of Revit.

4. Yes. *EDIT* Also, depending on the general contractor and their requirements, you might be modeling conduits, electrical equipment, busduct, j-boxes, pull boxes, clearance requirements, cable tray, etc. That is, if your company provides services that include these types of coordination during construction.

I'm an MEP background and I was introduced to Revit in 2006 but have been using it regularly since 2008. So if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. For the record, you'll want to get some quotes for basic fundamental training courses. That will help a lot. Since you're an AutoCAD background, it's gonna sting a little when you first jump into Revit. It's a whole other ballgame.

:)

Edited by tzframpton

Ultimate Suite gives you Navisworks. That's the only benefit to you. Other than that, go with Premium. MUCH cheaper and if you don't need Navisworks then it's the ideal package.

The course seems to touch on the essentials which is good. Don't know if it's worthwhile or not... never taken it. :)

-Tannar

What sort of work do you do?

The business can spend $X buying the software although expect to spend a similar amount on training. It is useless buying expensive software and then not providing training.

Ultimate Suite gives you Navisworks. That's the only benefit to you. Other than that, go with Premium. MUCH cheaper and if you don't need Navisworks then it's the ideal package.

The course seems to touch on the essentials which is good. Don't know if it's worthwhile or not... never taken it. :)

-Tannar

I recently had the course (for architecture) and it was a basic overview of how to model a house (we're a housebuilder I assume they tailor the course) and

left us confident enough to produce our trial development. You will find a lot of gaps in your knowledge as the program is so capable and has so many commands but you can usually work it out. After the first week modelling in anger we all found something clicks and it all starts to make sense.

FYI I have BDS premium and that has navisworks simulate, due to the frustrating Autodesk web page I couldn't really tell the difference between them or even what use the programs are for until our reseller organized a meeting with a large architects practice who have uses Revit for 5 years. It was good to meet someone face to face who wasn't selling Revit who was as enthusiastic about it as Tannar!