Rotate UCS so that the Y = 0 plane becomes the ground plane?

crystalfarquhar

I am learning to work with procedural surfaces in my AutoCAD 2012 Surface Modeling chapter. I just created an arc surface on the ground plane (using world UCS) The book is then wanting me to create a circle on the plane Y = 0. I know this is a very simple thing to do but i am new to the AutoCAD 2015 program. The book gave a hint : Rotate the UCS so that the Y = 0 plane becomes the ground plane, use the ViewCube to change the view to show the two surfaces, create the circle, then return to the World UCS. I have tried rotating the UCS so that y = 0. Can somebody please help me with this simple step? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks o:)

First, it would be easiest to see what is happening if you are in an isometric view - so click the "house" icon in the viewcube. Also, I would suspect you have the ucsicon on, if not turn it on. You might want to turn dynamic UCS off and set UCSFOLLOW to off. Examine some of the other variables surrounding the UCS.

Google the term "right hand rule" and look at some of the images. That will show you which way a rotation will occur when modifying the UCS.

Now type UCS X 90 and you will see the UCS icon rotate about the X axis. You can do that for Y and Z also. If you get turned around you can always go home (world).

Now, my best guess what Y=0 would be rotating about the Z axis (from world) so try UCS Z -90