Annotative Text - Paper Space, Model Space, Style Relationships?

dal-designs

This is just a general question about annotative text, something I've noticed as we transition from 'each scale has its own text-dimension layer' to 'annotative'.

I'm still a bit confused by the relationship between annotative scales in both DIMSTYLE and STYLE, and viewports, and actual plotted size on paper. For example, my 3/16"=1' annotative scale measures 8" high in model space (as measured through the viewport, which is set to the same anno scale). It measures exactly 1/8" high on paper when printed- with the anno paper text size set to 1/8" in STYLE. Now, that's fine with us engineers- mostly, we just want our text to be uniform. However, our architect insists that something is wrong because that text should measure 6" high at that scale, he says. He even gave us a handy chart to use:

SCALE: RATIO: TEXT SIZE:

1/16"=1' 192 18"

3/32"=1' 128 12"

1/8"=1' 96 9"

3/16"=1' 64 6"

Etc etc. I'm sure you're all familiar with this.

So...what's the deal here? Are us engineers right, or is the architect? It seems to me that maybe if the text measured 6" high in model space via the viewport, then the text would be 1/10" on paper...which again would be fine so long as everything is uniform, but a bit smaller than our norm (which is theoretically Arial 12 pt font).

And if our architect is right, then how do we get the text to be 1/10" high on paper while keeping our UNITS set to Architectural? I tried setting STYLE text height to 1/10", but it seems that ACAD is having none of it so long as the UNITS are set to Imperial fractions of an inch.

Edited by dal-designs
typos!

The standard text height that the architect is referring to is 3/32" measured in paper space. That height is very common and is used for a lot of things. I would say that your text height is a bit large.

Tell your architect he should have paid more attention to math in school.

1/8 (desired text height) x 3/16 (drawing scale) x 12 (number of inches in a foot) = 8

0.125 x 0.1875 x 12 = 8

*edit* OK, based on Robs comments, perhaps there is a difference of opinion about what the text height on paper should be. 3/32 text would be 6" in MS.

With Annotative text/dimension/mleaders, there is no need to ever worry about the math, or the actual size in MS if your layout matches your printer/plotter. You simply set the text height within the "stye" and it will plot that size on paper.

Sounds like your issue is resolving whether text should be 3/32" high, or 1/8"

Hmmm. My last reply to RobDraw isn't showing up, so I'll repost. We're okay with text being 3/32" and not 1/8"- it really doesn't matter but the consensus is the 1/8" text doesn't look 'right'.

Now, here's the problem. I've checked the following already:

STYLE set to annotative, 3/32" paper space size. Hit 'Apply' and closed.

DIMSTYLE set to annotative, correct STYLE assigned.

Correct annotative size assigned to MTEXTs (as in plural MTEXTS, note they're all the same size in MS)

Vport anno scale set to 3/16"=1'

Saved drawing, restarted ACAD 2014.

Yet when I go back and measure MTEXT height via the vport, it is still 8" high when now it should be 6" high. Right?

What am I overlooking here?

Edited by dal-designs
Redundancy and awkward wording

Changing the style height does not change existing text entities. You will have to change the paper space height for the existing texts. Select one, right click, select similar and then change the paper space height in properties.

Lovely. Thank you Autodesk for making this more complex than it has to be. Silly me- I thought that was what setting paper text height in STYLE was for.

But thanks for the reply, too- I didn't know that :/

Edited by dal-designs

Your in a forum where everybody has an opinion and they're all different. I think in terms of paper space the only person who will be looking at model space is me and maybe a couple of other guys who have a computer with autocad on it. Set your text height for paper space don't worry what model space text height will be it's not what the customer is going to see anyway.