Solidworks Compatability

Bill Tillman

I'm working for a client which used SolidWorks on a very limited basis for many years and now they are making a switch to Inventor. The one and only SolidWorks station here will remain online for a while yet but they made a recent purchase of Inventor for some of the newer detailers to begin working with. The first thing we noticed is that this workstation with both SW and AutoCAD is constantly freezing up. Two, three and four times a day, AutoCAD simply goes south. Solidworks continues working fine all day, each day. So we rebuilt his system and installed the new design suite package we bought from our reseller and it contains AutoCAD 2014 Mechanical and Inventor 2014.

So to test this we opened up some of the SW files which were assemblies with Inventor. The files opened fine but when the assemblies were exploded they basically became useless because they were no longer assemblies and had to be reassembled in Inventor. At least that's the way it was explained to me.

Can anyone tell me more about this process. I have never used SW and just don't have extensive knowledge about this.

Not sure why the first part of the story - but I run AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks and Creo (Pro/E) for years over many releases, without issue on the same machine.

Now back to your problem,

Assembly constraints are not preserved going from one CAD program to another.

That is just a fact of (CAD) life.