Dimensioning problem, Inventor 2013

TNDave

I need to make a part using a rotary table on a mill, no CNC. I have designed the part, and am trying to dimension it, but cannot find a way to get the dimensions I need. The part will be on a rotary table, centered on the dimension origin in the center of the part. When rotated at the angles shown so that the sides of the ears are aligned with the X or Y axis of the machine, I have to know the distance from center and start/stop points for the milling cutter to cut the sides of the "ears".

I have spend a lot of time trying to come up with a way to dimension these points, with no luck at all. See what I need in red. If anyone has an answer, I would be very appreciative!

scan0017.jpg

Sketch the cutter diameter in part.

Retrieve the sketch into the drawing

or

Click on the view

Hit S on the keyboard.

Project geometry from the view and sketch the cutter in the drawing view.

Sketch the cutter diameter in part.

Retrieve the sketch into the drawing

or

Click on the view

Hit S on the keyboard.

Project geometry from the view and sketch the cutter in the drawing view.

That is not my problem. I already have the centers of the cutter displayed, and that is what I am trying to dimension to. However I need to dimension parallel or perpendicular to the sides of the ears. Horiz/Vert/Aligned dimensioning will not do that. When the part is rotated in the milling machine to make the sides of the ears parallel with the machine X or Y axis, I need to know the offset from part center to the cutter. Without using trigonometry and calculating this, I can find no way to do it in Inventor drawing.

All of the red (extension) lines you have in image can be in a part sketch with accurate geometry.

If you can't figure it out - attach your file here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will put a dimensioned sketch in the part file, and use that. It is a one time part, so I do not need a drawing. Will just print the sketch in the part file.

Thank you so much! I made a sketch in the part file, and after some searching online found how to "Get Model Sketch". From there it was easy. Really appreciate it. I have used Inventor heavily for a couple years, used other solid modelers in the past decades, but never ran into the issue I did on this part.