hook to two lcontours

Rudbeckia

Hello Again

I have 2 contours that vary in distance between them. Is it possible for me somehow hook to both lines, maybe with the distance tool, and then move along the lines staying hooked so i can see the distances in feet changing between the 2 lines?

Does that make any sense at all?

I don't even think that would be possible in full Autocad, maybe in something like Inventor, possibly with constraints, but in LT we have nothing like that. What exactly are you trying to do there maybe another way of approaching it.

I have the trail of full autocad 2015 downloaded at the moment.

I have a contour survey. I want to know everywhere the contours are a distance of 8' apart. How might I do that?

Offset one of the contours by 8 feet and see where the offset line crosses the adjacent contour. You could during the OFFSET command offset the contour onto a different layer and give that layer a different colour, it would also make deleting the offset lines simpler too.

Thanks for the suggestion. There are hundreds of contours and I actually need to know 3 distances 8', 15', and 20'. So offset might take forever.

Is there no way to have autocad tell me a point at which two lines are a certain distance away from one another?

Are the objects actual contours lines with elevation, or just polylines on the same plane?

What are you trying to accomplish? Identify different areas in the drawing based on the slope/grade?

AutoCAD Civil 3D is tailored to grading and has built in tools for identifying slope and surface analysis. There are also some addons for regular AutoCAD. I used Terrain Tool a couple of times, but it seems they're out of business.

http://www.llandsoft.com/

thx. yeah I don't know civil 3d. with no knowledge of it how hard would it be to download a trail and figure out how to get a slope anaylisis from it.

You could get something like that to work with "Lines" and single segment polylines, but AFAIK you can't maintain it when transitioning from one polyline segment to another... at least not without custom programming.

Okay

So if you had to do a slope analysis for a large site using only Autocad (not civil 3d)

What method would you use?

Okay

So if you had to do a slope analysis for a large site using only Autocad (not civil 3d)

What method would you use?

Personally I wouldn't. Manually working with contours is too tedious. I leave that to the Civil guys using C3D.