Does SketchUp MAKE have 3d modeling tools?

Sid

Okay, here's the deal behind my most recent post: The primary reason I am looking for a way to bypass the 8-hour trial of SketchUp (full version) is, I want--no, make that NEED--to know whether the free version (Make) has the "3d solid" tools :?.

For some reason, I got the impression that, up to recently, only the full version had those tools, but, that they have been recently added to Make.

Anyone know?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sid

• f700es

• Dana W

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The free version of sketchup does do 3D modeling, but as far as comparing the models to AutoCad or Solidworks, 3D solids type structures, I don't think they are the same.

OK to be clear there is a sub set of tools in SU (sketchup) called Solid Tools (Sid. this is what you are talking about, right?). This sub set of tools I think are only available in the Pro version. The tools are; Intersect, Subtraction, Trim, Split, Union and Outer Shell. - Link - Now most of these functions can be performed by hand in the free version but more clean up and work will be involved. I think the outer shell tool will work in free mode.

There are alternatives ;) $10 BoolTools

The free version of sketchup does do 3D modeling, but as far as comparing the models to Autocad or Solidworks, 3D solids type structures, I don't think they are the same.

Thanx, Dana. Glad you mentioned Autocad models because I have been using AutoCad 12 and like what I'm getting from it, but, it's so much more work to get to the final result as compared to the intuitive user interface of SketchUp.

You mention that you don't think the models of the two programs are the same. Would you mind elaborating on what you see are the main differences. For instance, at this early stage of my comparing the two, I seem to detect a greater nuance in lighting in the Autocad results, but, so far, I can't be sure.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of what you have to say.

Sid

Hi Sid, what type of modeling do you want to do? Also what is the desired end result of your efforts? Are you wanting to render images of your models (you mentioned lighting)?

OK to be clear there is a sub set of tools in SU (sketchup) called Solid Tools (Sid. this is what you are talking about, right?). This sub set of tools I think are only available in the Pro version. The tools are; Intersect, Subtraction, Trim, Split, Union and Outer Shell. - Link - Now most of these functions can be performed by hand in the free version but more clean up and work will be involved. I think the outer shell tool will work in free mode.

There are alternatives ;) $10 BoolTools

Ahhh, f1700es, BoolTools looks like just the ticket!

Sid

Hi Sid, what type of modeling do you want to do? Also what is the desired end result of your efforts? Are you wanting to render images of your models (you mentioned lighting)?

f1700es, I'm in a time crunch at the moment and have to split, but, I will explain all when I get back here later this morning (hopefully, this morning).

Sid

EDIT: I tried to post the following as a reply and kept getting failed results with the message that "the token had expired--reload the page". I did as directed and it still did that. I'm now trying to simply add it to this post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Sean, I'm finally back at 7:30pm! So much for expectations.

I am using simple Autocad solid models as inspirations for abstract oil paintings. I don't render them, or, anything like that, just simple solid constructions that I use for form and lighting, adding my own ideas for color and texture as I execute the painting. If my attachment process worked, there should be images of my first two finished paintings with this reply. These a rather large canvases. The first is 32" x 40" and the other is 24" x 30". Please see below:

Sid

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51197[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]51198[/ATTACH]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Sid

f1700es, I'm in a time crunch at the moment and have to split, but, I will explain all when I get back here later this morning (hopefully, this morning).

Sid

No problem Sid, hit me up when you have time. I have been using SU since v2 so I should be able to help. If rendering is your end results there are options out there for you.

Take care.

Sean

No problem Sid, hit me up when you have time. I have been using SU since v2 so I should be able to help. If rendering is your end results there are options out there for you.

Take care.

Sean

f700es, please see my edit in post #9.

Sid

I am using simple Autocad solid models as inspirations for abstract oil paintings. I don't render them, or, anything like that, just simple solid constructions that I use for form and lighting, adding my own ideas for color and texture as I execute the painting.

Sid, have you considered using a different program, like Blender? It's a free program and I think it might be better suited for the type of work you're doing.

Here's another free program that might interest you: http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

Thanx, Dana. Glad you mentioned Autocad models because I have been using AutoCad 12 and like what I'm getting from it, but, it's so much more work to get to the final result as compared to the intuitive user interface of SketchUp.

You mention that you don't think the models of the two programs are the same. Would you mind elaborating on what you see are the main differences. For instance, at this early stage of my comparing the two, I seem to detect a greater nuance in lighting in the Autocad results, but, so far, I can't be sure.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of what you have to say.

Sid

Well, let me preface this with the fact that I have very little experience with AutoCad 3D, and it has been long enough that I don't remember the correct terms to use, but when I create a "solid" in sketch-up (free), let's say a cube by push/pull-ing a square face, and then try to make a round hole through it by push/pull-ing a circle face through the cube, then erasing the resulting cylinder, I end up with an empty box that has a round hole in two opposite sides. The inside of the cube is hollow.

Also, the most organic image I have been able to make so far, is a sphere.

It is even highly possible, that I have not learned enough about sketchup, and that I should have stayed out of this conversation.:oops:

Right Dana, that is because typically SU is a surface modeler and not a solid modeler. That's why they added in the Solid Tools for the Pro version. SU can make organic shapes but usually one needs some 3rd party plugin to do this. Most are free or very low cost ($10 or so). Nah, the more people in the mix gets more ideas and input ;)

Nah, the more people in the mix gets more ideas and input ;)

No way, Dana!! As f700es just said, The more the merrier! In fact, these last posts by the two of you caused me to wake up to a significant fact about the limitations of Make---while it does 3d modeling, I mistakingly assuming that to mean solid modeling. But, as f700es points out, only the full version of SU has the Solid Tools necessary to flesh out the empty 3d structures. But, thanks to an earlier post by f700es, $10 BoolTools comes to the rescue at a cost of only $10. Dana, be sure to click that link and check out all of the site's offerings.

Sid

Well that's not to say that SU Make (free) can't be a good tool, it can. One just has to know what they want to do with it. I for one love SU and I have seen some greats models come from it.

I hope that does help you Sid. The power of SU is similar to what made Acad popular, the ability for users to write scripts and customization.

Click on the link at the bottom of my post Sid to see some of the things I have done with SU.

Sean