extra RAM vs. a new graphics card with RAM onboard?

jonnyhicks

Hi

I need to speed up the rendering of my PC as its getting a bit laggy when working with some of my more complex assemblies in inventor.

I know extra RAM will help, currently I have 4 x 2GB modules and was going to pull them all and put in 4 x 4GBs at a cost of just under £400.

I was wondering if a gaming graphics card would do just as well. I know the modern games need a good card to push around all those polygons and CAD assemblies are also just a bunch of polygons. The other advantage is that a mid-range card will be a bit lower cost.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• Ski_Me

• Dana W

• Handiman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i would go for the graphics card 1st and see how it goes, and a mid-priced gaming card is best bang-for-buck IMO

I used to go ATI but am now of the opinion that NVidia based cards run better 'out-the-box'

I've read that rendering is primarily CPU based as only some programs can use higher end graphics cards for rendering. I don't think AutoCAD is one of those programs since it is not multi-threaded and therefore it cannot take advantage of multiple cores.

What are the rest of your computer specs? OS?

+1 on that. As well as version of Inventor.

What is the current usage of RAM? If you aren't currently using the RAM you have now, more RAM isn't necessarily going to speed you up.

I agree with everyone, we'll need all specs of your computer to give you a proper recommendation. NVIDIA just released some exceptional GPU's (the 970 and 980 series) most of which are under $400 Canadian.

First-

A mid level NVidia based graphics card will make a difference. 660 w/2GB GDDR5 RAM is $200.

Second-

If you upgrade your RAM look into getting a higher speed of RAM.

Its clock speed will make a bigger difference as long as your motherboard can use it.

8 GB of 2400MHz RAM is better than 16 GB of 1333MHz.

Knowing your system specs will help make better suggestions

First-

A mid level NVidia based graphics card will make a difference. 660 w/2GB GDDR5 RAM is $200.

Second-

If you upgrade your RAM look into getting a higher speed of RAM.

Its clock speed will make a bigger difference as long as your motherboard can use it.

8 GB of 2400MHz RAM is better than 16 GB of 1333MHz.

Knowing your system specs will help make better suggestions

It seems very few people realize that RAM has different speeds there's slow RAM and there's fast RAM. This guy is right on the money with this the faster the RAM you can put in your system the better it will perform you just have to know what your motherboard can handle. If your using Windows 7 right click on the desktop you can find your specs there. If you using Windows 8 I'm not sure how you find your system info but it's similar to the way it's done in 7.

One of the best ways out there for system information!

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

The free version should be enough for most anyone. If and when you install make sure you un-click the Google Toolbar add-on :rolleyes:

The google toolbar. That thing came with my new terabyte SSD external, and my new scanner. It's everywhere. I's everywhere.

WOW, I just installed speccy. What an eye opener.

Edited by Dana W

Fast RAM is much better, just make sure your Motherbaord can handle the different speeds. Typically any motherboard can handle 1333-1866 MHz, you starting getting into some of the higher end stuff if you're looking anywhere faster than that though.

f700es - Thanks for the software link. That is good info.

Thanks to your suggestion I was able to find out that my i7-3770 4 core processor @3.4GHz has 800MHz memory.

Thank You Dell. Yes it was only a $1900 computer that my boss selected.

Yes a Dell computer works but for that money there is a lot more performance available.

The google toolbar. That thing came with my new terabyte SSD external, and my new scanner. It's everywhere. I's everywhere.

WOW, I just installed speccy. What an eye opener.

Yes it does and it catches people off guard at times. Glad you are digging Speccy :)

f700es - Thanks for the software link. That is good info.

Thanks to your suggestion I was able to find out that my i7-3770 4 core processor @3.4GHz has 800MHz memory.

Thank You Dell. Yes it was only a $1900 computer that my boss selected.

Yes a Dell computer works but for that money there is a lot more performance available.

No problem Handiman ;) Yeah I have a new Dell at work and I am more than pleased with it. I am a big Dell fan. I have 2 Dell desktops, a laptop and 2 Venue tablets at home from them.

Specs from my work PC

specs.jpg

Oh my! A Core2Duo and DDR2 ram, yuck. I've given away better systems than that ;) Sorry bro, I'd put in a request to get a new machine. :(

I have but that will never happen. I have been told I could build my own machine if I provide the parts and OS. Crazy I know but I like it here and they put up with my crap so cant complain too much.

Wow! What a shi**y company to work for. Sorry but a company that refuses to provide good equipment to work on does not deserve your loyalty imho.

My new box at work was $1,600. Not a lot in terms of cost for a good PC.

Best of luck in that situation :(