Block insertion gone haywire

montespringer

It seems that since upgrading to Windows 7 Pro / 64bit, thatI have issues inserting blocks. I use AutoCAD V.2000. Sometimes when I create a block by copying andpasting as a block, the block comes in as something previously created. It hason occasion come in as different images when I repeatedly paste as block. Theonly way around it that I have come up with is to shut down AutoCAD andre-start. This tends to buy me a few more copy and paste-as-block until itstarts pasting the wrong images all over again. I am a draftsman and not a computer wiz. To meit seems as if it is a memory problem. I have also been having problems pastingfrom other drawings. I realize that (2) different blocks can have the same nameif generated in different drawings, and I know how to use the F2 command whenbringing blocks across between drawings, But I have been having what seems tobe an inordinate amount of block name duplication lately. How can I fix these issues???

Prior to doing these block insertions do you ever purge the drawing specifically purge > blocks?

Whenwas the last time you cleaned out your TEMP folder?

Pasting problems? Do you occasionally work with drawings that were created in AutoCAD 2007 then back saved to 2000 file format?

It is not a good idea to have two blocks in different drawings each named the same. Don't you keep a master block library?

BTW...your profile says you are using AutoCAD 2002 yet you state that you are currently having problems while using AutoCAD 2000. Is there something you want to correct?

I do Purge, DLF, and Save quite often. You are correct. V.2002 Also, I do backward saves so that I can work on drawings from outside. As far as the temp folder goes, I am unfamiliar with it. Thank you.

Have you run an audit on the drawing?

The TEMP file is part of Windows. Do you run the disk cleanup utility that comes with Windows?

Do you have a master block library?

I just ran an audit. I haven't done that before. 0 errors found. As far as disk cleanup goes, I use and run CCleaner several times during the course of a day. Master Block Library, I have thousands of blocks which I have individually named. Some are sorted, but most stay with the individual drawings. They are each named with job numbers, so there is no chance of repetition.

Additional Information:

Most of my problems revolve around the quick blocks that AutoCAD names randomly typically starting with (A$C). I refer to them as AC Blocks.

I can even copy unblocked lines from other drawings, when I bring them into my current drawing to paste them (either as a block or as an unblocked group), they come in as a block which already appears in the drawing which I am working in. Sometimes when I don't leave the drawing and try to bring them in again, they come in as something entirely different.

If I do as I said earlier, and shut down AutoCAD completely, once I restart, the copied items or blocks come in as copied. Usually after a few copy and pastes, it starts to go wild again, at which time I have to shut down once more. It's like there is some sort of a memory issue??????

Memory issues? Then you are talking either virtual memory or physical RAM.

What are the full specs on this computer?

Copy/paste issues are common in many releases of AutoCAD. After installing 2002 did you also install all service packs and any applicable hot fixes?

Have you tried a REPAIR of the installation?

What else is running in the background while you are working in AutoCAD? Have you tried disabling everything that you can, like your browser. anti-virus, etc., then running AutoCAD to see if the problem persists?

What other steps have you taken to troubleshoot the problem?

Do you do any 3D work?

I believe that I have solved it. I was talking the issue over with our computer guy and during the conversation he mentioned the when he set up my new machine that he set it to run in "Compatibility Mode". I did not do that at home and have no issues. Turned it off, and haven't had any issues since. Hopefully I don't eat my words. (Windows 7 at the office & Windows 8 at home) Thanks.