Coordinate System Issue (i think)

hogfan1978

Hi all,

I'm having issues and I need help....

I imported a survey point file (.fbk) into a drawing. After finishing the drawing, I realized that the points had slightly different coordinates on AutoCAD than what they had in the fieldbook.

So, I checked the coordinate system by right clicking on the bold drawing name in the toolspace settings tab and selecting Edit Drawing Settings. In that window, I saw that the drawing was set to "no projection/no datum". I surveyed it in NAD83 Texas State Plane, North Central Zone, US survey feet. So, I changed the drawing settings to reflect that coordinate system. When I hit OK, nothing on the drawing changed. The drawing points are still 10 or 15 feet off from what the fieldbook says.

I'm confused. Please help!!

Thanks, hog

There is a location to specify Survey Units and Projection that is separate from the Drawing Settings Units. Resetting them may retain the incorrect coordinates since it assumes you knew all of this before bringing in the FBK. Sometimes exporting to LandXML and editing the units in it can be used to convert improperly stored units.

I don't have access to my Civil 3D right now but it's somewhere in the Survey tab of the prospector - I believe it is in either the default survey database settings or default user settings.

Edited by caddcop

• 2 weeks later...

Go to the "Survey" Pull down menu

Click the "Modify" arrow

Select "Survey Database Settings.

Under "Error Tolerance" Make sure "Use all observations in Calculation" is set to YES

Distance set to .5

Angular - .0015

Elevation .5

Coordinate - .5

If these settings are already correct you could simply create a 3d pline at a known x,y,z then move all your

points based on that coordinate. Just make sure if you move points that the Line is at the correct Z value.

It must match your main point your picking. So lets say your Bench mark is at elevation 100

Draw a 3dpline at elevation 100 and move all your points (select them all at the same time) by your

Benchmark point. Its not the best way to do it but it can work if you simply cannot find the error.