Block Not Updating

resullins

I have a drawing of an office building, and it's got a bazillion little chairs and filing cabinets and other crud in it. They're all blocks, and they all have tons of attributes in them. I have to strip this file down to the bare bones, so I can use it as a background. Instead of exploding all the little chair blocks and then deleting the attributes, I thought it would be easier to select one chair block, go into the Block Editor, strip out all the stuff... that way when I explode all the blocks, they're nothing but lines and arcs.

However, when I get out of block editor, all the gunk is still in the blocks? What gives? Is there something I'm missing?

Any time you add or delete attributes from a block, after editing, you have to reload the newly edited block and sync the old block instances.

Just insert the edited block and then run the ATTSYNC command. Choose "Select" from the command prompt, click on the new block, hit enter to accept and the old blocks should update.

Here's another question... is there a way to ATTSYNC all? Or select multiple blocks? I'm literally editing a block, attsyncing, editing a block, attsyncing.... this could take a while. Just curious!

Here's another question... is there a way to ATTSYNC all? Or select multiple blocks? I'm literally editing a block, attsyncing, editing a block, attsyncing.... this could take a while. Just curious!

I have not used this one, by Lee Mac, :beer: http://www.lee-mac.com/attmodsuite.html but it may be suitable for what you are trying to do, I hope it helps.

Attsync should update all blocks with the same name. Do all of your blocks have their own unique names?

REGEN and it should populate all of them.

@Dadgad: Thanks! I have used that suite very minimally, but not for this purpose. I'll give it a try.

@Cad64: There are a lot of each type of block, but yes, there are a BILLION different blocks in this drawing. There are like 48 different types of chairs, 93 different desks, and then some blocks are put together in full office configurations that are then made into their OWN block.

@tzframpton: I'll try that. Thanks!

@Cad64: There are a lot of each type of block, but yes, there are a BILLION different blocks in this drawing. There are like 48 different types of chairs, 93 different desks, and then some blocks are put together in full office configurations that are then made into their OWN block.

Sounds like fun. :P

Maybe it would be better to just explode all the blocks, then use QSELECT to select all attribute definitions, on whatever layer they are on, and then hit Delete. I mean, you're going to explode all the blocks anyway, right? I think all this editing of blocks is just slowing down the process.

That's the way I've been doing it for years... and it just sucks. I was hoping editing the blocks would be faster. And it really is, if I can get them all to attsync, or sync automatically when I'm done editing the block, or something. It's that extra command that's killing me.

I've had the same problem before and have edited each and every block. Exploding took just as long because I had to change the layers back to furniture from 0. The command, ATTDISP, came up in another thread and is worth a shot. Turn it off in the XREF. I'm not sure if it will come through into the referencing file, but only takes a minute to try out.