The AutoCAD 1 minute challenge!

nathanjh13

See? I told you, I am slower than everybody but with my little lisp things, I could still keep up.

Anyway, I am glad you liked the method and lisps.

Thanks.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• tzframpton

• paulmcz

• steven-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What kind of job, you mean doing video demos? Yeah I'd probably be up for that.

Are you familiar with Autodesk Screencast (formerly known as Project Chronicle)? It's free plugin specifically designed for video capture in select Autodesk products (2013 and newer). The downside for me is that it lacks editing features.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/

Lets see yours Tannar (you can even use Revit if you want)
I like how you did the last one at 39 seconds. Definitely impressive. :)

Here's 2D Revit's version @ 70 seconds:

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

*EDIT*

I asked for some help at my Revit Forum. I will make this 1 minute challenge parametric to show the "flexibility" of Revit over AutoCAD in this particular instance. ;)

Edited by tzframpton

I am more intrigued by this as an exercise in logic, than a race against the clock.

What is the least number of commands with which anybody can do this?

I too, like eldon used a 3 sided polygon Circumscribed about a 45 radius circle.

Used a Scale command with Reference to upsize to the 300 long sided equilateral triangle,

offset by 70 and filleted (Polygon modifier) with radius 70 (no tangentcy issues).

All the circles are simple enough, as you still have the defining equilateral triangle intact.

Yes, I left out a few of the easy steps, this is just a flowsheet of my overall gameplan.

Fun though! :beer:

I am, as always looking forward to seeing nestly's approach and video, as well as hearing

other approaches.

My approach was to simply draw out the 300 unit EQL construction triangle with a closed polyline. 3 clicks, & lose. Then offset that one 70 units. Then I placed the centered circle using polar (object) snap tracking. The rest was pretty much the same as everybody else. I didn't time it, but I think I made it somewhere between 50 and 65 seconds. I hadda undo my first fillet, I forgot I had closed the drawing since presetting the fillet radius. That takes almost 6 seconds, and I sat and thought about using mirror as opposed to simply copy selection on the 2nd and third set of corner circles. I used mirror instead of copy selection and mirror twice took longer.

I used 6 different commands, but 2 were repeated in succession so, 8 commands total

I am glad to hear that, as I hold you in very high regard, and that is how many I need too (6&2),

although reviewing my commandline history I was bummed to see that when I changed

the diameter in my Quick Properties which I always have open, that it is counted as a

separate Circle command. I did it using the midpoint snaps to define the 3P circle.

Good fun, we should have more like this, as it is very interesting to see and consider

different approaches than those which we might usually use. :beer:

It seems counter intuitive, but from watching both JD's and TZ's videos, with more modern and powerful

parametric software, and in the hands of people who know how to use them, that this relatively simple task seems to be more easily :huh:

and quickly accomplished with the lowly (drafting tool) Autocad. Don't anybody tell Autodesk, or they will raise the price!

Edited by Dadgad

Finally I found a screen capture I can use without having admin rights block it. Heres my version and I managed to do it in just under the minute, the offset polyline with fillet looks like a cleaner method and probably quicker, but here go's (PS anyone any ideas on how to stop those ghost lines that show up in a lot of videos).

EDIT-

Maybe not for some reason when I attach the gif file CADTutor changes it to a jpg !!! anyone know how to stop that

Trial.jpg

Maybe not for some reason when I attach the gif file CADTutor changes it to a jpg !!! anyone know how to stop that

It was probably over the 500KB image size limit and therefore vBulletin automatically resized it.... resulting in a .jpg.

I was bummed to see that when I changed

the diameter in my Quick Properties....

Lets see you change the dimensions in AutoCAD.

You might notice in my video a bit of jumping around mis-direction. I spend most of my day teaching another solid modeler and get confused which interface I am working in.

Lets see you change the dimensions in AutoCAD.

You might notice in my video a bit of jumping around mis-direction. I spend most of my day teaching another solid modeler and get confused which interface I am working in.

Sorry JD, I didn't mean to cast any aspersions, and as one who is not Inventor savvy, I took the time spent to be indicative of how long an accomplished and respected user might

expect using it. Interesting, I had always assumed, perhaps erroneously, that Inventor was your parametric weapon of choice. :huh:

...I had always assumed, perhaps erroneously, that Inventor was your parametric weapon of choice. :huh:

It is, but work dictates use of another SoftWare. I am probably faster in the other SoftWare right now just because I use it so much in the classroom.

Use of the Marking Menus/Mouse Gestures develop "muscle memory" that want me to go without thinking.... ...and I end up in the wrong place.

With true pros dedicated to one system - you would never even see the tools on the screen as all would be gesture based.