Question about nominal dimensions

Below is a picture of 4 dimensioned holes. They are mounting holes so I was asked to make them nominal.

2.jpg

Here is what I came up with

A.) 9/16

B.) 15 13/16

C.) 33 5/16

D.) 48 9/16

It's been a while so I just wanted to double check my work. Thank you in advanced.

Edited by ALUX

It depends on what level of precision "nominal" is considered to be. Apparently you don't have to worry about the mounting holes clearing objects attached to this "plate".

A "nominal" 2x4 is actually 1 1/2" x 3 1/2", so there is a lotta room for nominal depending on what we are doing, and what is near the holes.

I set my units and dimstyle precision to 1/64, drew out a rectangle that is 49 3/16 long which is what yours is by my calculations, and then offset the center lines the distances shown on your original drawing from the left edge, and then placed my dimensions.

Then, I changed my precision levels back to 1/16" and let AutoCad do the math when I regen'ed. The random overlapping 1/32'nds and 1/64'ths in there were left to AutoCad to dispose of. When one is just doing simple mounting plates or science fair projects, the nearest 1/8 is way close enough for me. Or, as a framing carpenter once said to me, "Hell, my saw blade makes a cut wider'n 'at.

A = 5/8

b = 15 7/8

c = 33 3/8

d = 48 5/8

The distances between the center lines are 15 1/4, 17 1/2, and 15 1/4.

48 18/32 = 48.5625 = 48 9/16 your “nominal value” difference of 0.03125

48 19/32 = 48.59375 your original value

48 20/32 = 48.625 = 48 5/8 Dana “nominal value” difference of 0.03125

Example

Dana's value is just as close to your original value, but it is much easier to measure to an eight than to a sixteenth.

...is just as close to your original value, but it is much easier to measure to an eight than to a sixteenth.
Chapter I, Page 1, Lesson 1, Rule 1, in "The Field Guy/Shop Guy Handbook";)