Convert Text to Mtext in LT

jdevera25

I am using an AUTOCAD LT 2014, and wanted to convert TEXT to MTEXT, is there anyway for me do this.

Welcome to CADTutor!

Sorry to hear that you are using LT, otherwise you could use

http://www.lee-mac.com/text2mtext.html

I loathe DTEXT and use this a lot.

Thanks Lee!

One of our resident LT magicians Steven-G has a real way with making LT do things

it isn't supposed to, if he sees this he might know a way to do it.

Edited by Dadgad

I am using an AUTOCAD LT 2014, and wanted to convert TEXT to MTEXT, is there anyway for me do this.

I have done a bit of research as my colleagues all use LT and I love the full version conversion tool and unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a tool or work around. Unless of course Steven-G the diesel guru knows a way you'll have to double click each individual DText ctrl+C and ctrl+v into an MText box. A shortcut for this would also be copy an existing piece of Mtxt around for the number of boxes you'll need then do all of the copying and pasting in one hit. Note do ctrl+A before pasting that way you don't have to delete the existing text. That way you'll only need to double click the original and new text rather than typing or going to a toolbar/ribbon command. Hope that makes sense as I can't install the video capture thingy some of the other guys use.

Pressure or what ! thanks both of you for the honourable mention, after that build up it's all downhill from here :lol:. I read this thread just before leaving work and I did a quick test using the method Glen also mentioned which does work well compared to retyping everything by hand, there isn't a straight forward convert in LT.

However if the OP has use of Excel then there might be a way to automate it a bit, by selecting all the text items, and using the list command, this gives a list containg the text itself along with the coordinates that the text is placed, if you copy this from the command line history into excel then you could fairly easily string together a script that would recreate your text objects as mtext in Autocad. The problem is if you need to add multiple text items into single mtext entries, but doable with a bit of programming logic if the text items are say all grouped together.

If you can post an example of before and after it would certainly help to give a more focused answer.

I'm in two minds now steven-g has confirmed there isn't an easy way. 1) Shame there isn't 2) Glad I haven't missed something obvious for years,

This might not be the clearest instructional video, it's more to show how it actually looks than how you do it, the description is in the video itself, basically its just pressing buttons and the mouse, there is actually no need for any command at all.

Text2Mtext.gif

This method leaves behind multiple text items with just a space in them which may not desirable in some drawing environments. Instead of using a space, I would leave the text intact after copying and erase it afterwards.

This method leaves behind multiple text items with just a space in them which may not desirable in some drawing environments. Instead of using a space, I would leave the text intact after copying and erase it afterwards.

I didn't spot that yesterday, A simple window select failed to highlight them, but I would still change the text somehow (maybe to just a single letter) that way you know where you have been.

Using LIST and pasting somehow to excel just sort on Y co-ord and text is correct order to paste back into mtext. I take it Dataextract is not available. Tried copy paste of List very ugly method. Also tried copy paste multiple text but it only pastes a image not values. Maybe some one has something ?

No there is no Dataextract in LT only Attext which won't work in this case, so you can either copy the list from the command history, or another method I use is to copy the text from the autocad .log file (providing you have that option running) which keeps a complete history of all your drawing commands. Then it is a case of splitting the text strings up in excel and filtering for the data that you need and use that to script the text back into the drawing as Mtext. Though for regular repetition of the same sequence you can write a vba sub to take care of all that.

Steven-g

1st Can you do a macro that picks text and adds it to existing text abc abcdef abcdefghi,

2nd can you use some form of CHR(32) this is as part of this abc(32)def(32)fgh

I don't know of a way to copy the text from within a text or mtext entity, this is normally done with Ctrl+c which is a windows shortcut and not an Autocad method, I did consider that method, but couldn't come up with anything for editing, unless of course it uses a dialogue, but they are not available to either a macro or script. LT can be very limiting in the information you can actually get at from the drawing database, so sometimes the only option is to try and get at it externally with excel.