Nested Blocks and Purge Issues

Casio47

Hello...

I have tons of nested blocks that have built up over time from people inserting drawings from vendors. Now, the file is so bloated, It is basically unusable unless one has a supercomputer.

How do I get rid of all these nested blocks so I can purge?

Thanks

there is a lisp to explode all blocks, I don't know where I found it, a person good with lisp could possible modify it to delete all blocks.

It is possible to explode all the blocks without lisp. QSelect can get you all of the blocks in the drawing as your selection set. But, I think you are going to find that after exploding them in order to purge the definitions that your problem is going to get worse. Especially if you have multiple instances of the blocks. Nested blocks are not a problem in themselves. It is more likely that the problem lies in the contents of those blocks.

It's possible that they were not created with AutoCAD or possibly a newer version than what you have. (What version are you using?) If you do not have AutoCAD 2013 or newer, get Drawing TrueView, free from AutoDesk, and use it to convert the file to an earlier version. Don't be afraid to go way back. Follow that up with the usual file maintenance tools, i.e. purge, audit. If that doesn't do the trick, research cleaning up bloated files. There are tons of ways of tracking down and eliminating bloat. The cause of it affects how to get rid of it.

If you are still having trouble after trying the above, post a file to DropBox so we can explore for you.

I would not explode all the blocks in the working file. Save a copy of it and experiment before doing it to the working file. Like I said. Exploding the blocks may make the problem worse.

Please reread my previous post and try my other suggestions as I still think that the problem will not be solved by exploding the blocks.