MAC to win transition

vick2014

If desktop is your need I would go to XPS 8700 which has an nvidia gt720. Not a super card but better than an on board version any day. My optiplex came with a gtx 645 card. The above mentioned quadro based unit is nice but for normal acad work it is overkill imho.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• Dana W

• lrm

• vick2014

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have experience with the XPS but it looks like it is less configurable at purchase time than the Precision. The XPS looks like it does not give you a Windows 7 Pro option or choice of video card. I do a lot of 3D (Inventor and 3DS Max) thus my choice of the NVIDIA Quadro.

If you need a quadro then get one. They are great cards but most can get by with a Geforce model and save some $$. In fact a recent graphic card test the GF beat the quadro in ACAD and Inventor.

Edit: XPS w/Win7 Pro

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=fdcwgs101hw7p&model_id=xps-8700

I have an XPS (hard disk crash) with an Nvidia GF 6.. something in it. It was simply excellent. If I'm lucky I can cannibalize that one. I do have one empty PCI slot, but I'd have to do some research before just plugging it in. Even if it was compatible I'd probably have to leave my back cover propped open like we used to do our VW Beetle engine covers back in the day for more air since it is configured for a tower.

That is probably a PCIe (express) video card and will not work in you all in one desktop. Most likely no way to upgrade your video card. Sorry
Yeah, I'm positive that's the case too. Dell Doesn't seem to have anything for it, and I've looked a couple times over the last year. Oh well, it works pretty well as it is.