cadfreeblocks.com

cmarvel

I want to download a 3D block from cadfreeblocks.com. The website says my target file is in Autocad 2000.dwg format. Will this format cause a problem? I have Autocad 2009.

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• Debalance

• Cad64

• cmarvel

No it won't. Why would you think so?

However, before downloading anything from cadblocksfree I'd try to find out more about the site.

"Why would you think so?" Because I didn't know the answer to my own question. I come from twenty + years of work in other areas of data processing / computing where vendor upgrades didn't automatically assume compatibility from old to new file formats. That's the background to my asking...

Okay, re: your other concern. Has anyone out there used cadblocksfree? It happens that their target file looks really useful for a current project of mine.

OK, you can lower the defensive shields now.

I merely thought someone had given you erroneous advice. I come from a background where every one of the programs I use on a daily basis can open files created in a previous version.

What kind of block were you interested in downloading from cadblocksfree?

If the files are available in 2000 format, I would be concerned the library is not being maintained. Are there other blocks in newer formats? In my experience, free blocks have been of such poor quality and needed so much adjusting that I ended up just creating my own. You get what you pay for.

However, before downloading anything from cadblocksfree I'd try to find out more about the site.

I have never used this site. But I think it's quite safe resource.

I want to download a 3D block from cadfreeblocks.com. The website says my target file is in Autocad 2000.dwg format. Will this format cause a problem? I have Autocad 2009.

Your version of AutoCAD can open files created in any version prior to 2009, but it cannot open files created in newer versions.

I agree with RobDraw though, you get what you pay for. Unless I'm in a serious time crunch, I typically create my own content.

Your version of AutoCAD can open files created in any version prior to 2009, but it cannot open files created in newer versions.

I think the DWG TrueView easily fix this problem.

I agree with RobDraw though, you get what you pay for. Unless I'm in a serious time crunch, I typically create my own content.

I stick to using manufacturer and vendor files if they have them like Dodge Bearings, Parker Pneumatics, McMaster Carr, Reid Supply, etc. otherwise, better to create your own as suggested.

What is it you are looking for?

Free manufacturer/vendor files are a different story. I use them fairly regularly for HVAC equipment. They are always way to detailed for our use so I strip them down to fit our needs. Layering is almost always questionable. Again though, it takes about the same amount of time to create to the level of detail that we need from the cut sheets as it does to clean up the DWGs.

Yes, it can, but I was trying to explain what the program can and cannot do, without using a 3rd party application.

I got it. But DWG TrueView is not 3rd party application. This is native Autodesk application.

I got it. But DWG TrueView is not 3rd party application. This is native Autodesk application.

But that program is not used to save files to newer formats. It could be, but if you are trying to save a 2000 format to match your version, you can do it in AutoCAD. No other software is necessary. If you are converting a file that is newer than your current version's format then it would be useful for that.

If you are converting a file that is newer than your current version's format then it would be useful for that.

I absolutely agree with that.

Then let me refer you to the OP.

Thanks.

How would TrueView help in this situation?

"Why would you think so?" Because I didn't know the answer to my own question. I come from twenty + years of work in other areas of data processing / computing where vendor upgrades didn't automatically assume compatibility from old to new file formats. That's the background to my asking...

Okay, re: your other concern. Has anyone out there used cadblocksfree? It happens that their target file looks really useful for a current project of mine.

I downloaded their cars file. Most of the cars were classic and their few newer cars were about 5 years out of date. I virus scanned after download and they came up as clean. No spam emails or contact from them that I can remember.

Sorry, I didn't know my replies were going to be put under the microscope today.

Substitute the term "3rd Party" with "Conversion program". Better?

My point to the OP, who is new to AutoCAD, is that the program cannot open files created in a newer version. And since the OP's issue has nothing at all to do with opening files created in a newer version, I saw no reason to even mention TrueView. I'm not sure why we're even discussing it?

Thanks.

what happened when you tried it?

i have just downloaded a block from the site. seems pretty painless and no problems ye@+Iujjj