diameter

Either you are leaving out critical information - or the source of your information should go back to school.

I am going to assume you are leaving out information.

Measure the circumference of that loop (actually loop length, but we will let AutoCAD call it circumference)

Using the formula for circumference - check to see if it magically matches a circle of Ø36"

It was a very brief email (sent by a sales person), where it said exactly: "make this figure 36" diameter". That's where I was puzzled. So, later, I had a long discussion about that trying to investigate the meaning. It came out that the largest measurement across the figure is what the person meant by "diameter". Since English is not my native language, I wanted to know how you guys understand request like that.

Thanks JD

Since English is not my native language, I wanted to know how you guys understand request like that.

I like JD's answer I wouldn't have thought of that as a possible option.

Even for those of us who use English as our native language, comunicating just with words can be a problem, indeed the request you recieved was probably perfectly clear to the person who asked, but they did leave out a few keywords. I would certainly never have come up with what they wanted without going back and asking for more info.

It was a very brief email (sent by a sales person), where it said exactly: "make this figure 36" diameter". That's where I was puzzled. So, later, I had a long discussion about that trying to investigate the meaning. It came out that the largest measurement across the figure is what the person meant by "diameter". Since English is not my native language, I wanted to know how you guys understand request like that.

Thanks JD

Sounds like what you are meant to do is to use the SCALE command with REFERENCE perhaps,

and size it so that the longest dimension across it will be 36".

Sounds like what you are meant to do is .....

I am still not absolutely clear on what the design intent is. Even with the additional "information" I could interpret several different end results. The "sketch" itself looks questionable to me.

I have run into a lot of people who do not know the difference between diameter and radius. Even people in this field. :shock:

It took a while before finally arriving to the clear definition of the task in my later conversation.

This is what was actually required: uniformly scale the figure so it fits inside a Ø36" circle.

The design intent - irregular shape light shades but much smaller than these here.

Thanks

concept.jpg