Mirror command cannot flip horizontally

Solved! See the first response below to see the solution. (RobDraw's post)

Hello, recently last night my mirror tool did not easily snap or flip to what I was trying to do in the red box shown in the picture below:

MirrorCommandNotFlipping_zpsac140a04.png

It can do any other angles but the other angles use to let it flip above/below the x-axis. Is there a way to fix this? I do not know how it got changed since it also affected my rotate tool to not rotate at 90° and I had closed the program so I lost the command history to see what caused all of this. I already reset AutoCAD settings to default and restarted my computer. I was able to fix the other tools in snap settings but mirror is the only one left and I use this command the most.

I know I can use the rotate tool, but on educational purposes, I was wondering if I can change it back or was I using it incorrectly all along?

I tried to search online but I do not know much of the terminology to get the right keywords. Any insight of how to phrase for my search will be grateful as well. Thank you.

Edited by Kittie
Issue solved

It looks like you are referring to not being able to use polar tracking at a 45° angle. You probably need to add it to your polar tracking settings.

I can't get into AutoCAD ATM. If you have trouble finding this, post back and we can give you more specifics.

It looks like something to do with your UCS. What is it set to?

How did you come to that conclusion? The examples shown at angles 0, 90, 180, and 270 are working as expected.

Why would the 45 be any different in the same UCS?

I stand by my first response. See attached that 45, 135, 225, 315 all need to be added.

Polar Tracking Settings.PNG

How did you come to that conclusion?

If for some reason the screenshot did not load, a rotated VIEW/UCS would be a perfectly logical suggestion based on the thread title and description. It was my initial thought as well when I saw the thread title. With the benefit of the screenshot, I'm fairly confident you're correct however.

Edited by nestly

How did you come to that conclusion? The examples shown at angles 0, 90, 180, and 270 are working as expected.

Why would the 45 be any different in the same UCS?

I stand by my first response. See attached that 45, 135, 225, 315 all need to be added.

Sorry, I meant "view," not "UCS."

Based on the screenshot, a simple shape in an 3D view would behave similarly. It's not a conclusion, just another suggestion in case yours does not work for the OP.

If you feel my original comment should be revised accordingly, I will happily do so.

If you feel my original comment should be revised accordingly, I will happily do so.

I asked for an explanation because I saw no evidence of a UCS problem. I also don't see any evidence of a view problem either.

The image clearly shows that Polar Tracking is not tracking the 45 degree angle. Notice that the polar tacking is displayed on all but the one that is not working.

That is correct, but the tracking angle is displayed to the lower-right of the crosshairs (which are not visible by that example). Also, every other example has a green track, the one in question does not.

I may be incorrect, but I still feel my suggestion is just as valid.

That is correct, but the tracking angle is displayed to the lower-right of the crosshairs (which are not visible by that example). Also, every other example has a green track, the one in question does not.

I happen to think Rob is probably correct about the reason the OP isn't getting the intended behavior, but you are totally correct that the screenshot itself does not indicate whether 45 degree polar tracking is or is not enabled.

What I see in the screenshot is the Grid indicates the view is perpendicular (or nearly perpendicular) to the current XY plane (ie Plan view). Similarly, the tracking vectors correspond with the polar tracking angle in the tooltip, which also indicates that view is not rotated at an acute angle to the UCS.

Everyone should remember that it isn't a contest, until the OP indicates the problem has been resolved, all possible suggestions should be welcome. :)

Edited by nestly

It looks like you are referring to not being able to use polar tracking at a 45° angle. You probably need to add it to your polar tracking settings.

I can't get into AutoCAD ATM. If you have trouble finding this, post back and we can give you more specifics.

Thank you all for the quick responses! I had seen your answer the very next morning but I had to go to work. When I got home I couldn't log into my account! I finally got my end resolved to answer everyone back. When I first got AutoCAD for the trial, 45° was added in somehow, so I personally never learned what made mirror work the way it did. Adding 45° to the polar tracking did the trick!

I did thought UCS might have been the problem since I had thought the way I was trying to snap was a default setting. I'll keep it in mind that it can be a possible lead in the future if I have problems again. Thanks everyone!