Cut & Fill Volume Calculation of Earth Work

musharraf102

I have to calculate cut & fill quantities for earth work.

The Final elevation level is 31m. This contour drawing have existing levels. the drawing has divided into 100m x 100m grid boxes.

Can anybody tell me how to quickly calculate the accurate cut & fill quantity in autocad 2009?? I am in tension, because i have to do it.

This is only 1 drawing which i have attached , like this 45 drawings i have.

W3-AA1355001VB.dwg

You can't do it in AutoCAD, you need AutoCAD Civil 3D to be able to do that. Download the free trial version and then do your cut and fill calculations.

I've just had a look at your drawing and you can forget using Civil 3D. Your drawing it is in 2D with all the contours with an elevation of 0.00. Simply put, the quality of your drawing is terrible. It isn't even to scale, the 150 m scale bar in the legend is 44.5333 m long. Has the drawing been scanned as the only text in the drawing is "Unregistered Version - http://www.anydwg.com" every thing else is just polylines and every thing is on one layer.

The only thing you could do is to elevate each contour to its correct elevation, filling all the gaps in the contours, and then use the LOFT command to create a solid and get the volume of the solid from its properties. Or alternatively elevate the contours, bring the drawing to scale and WBLOCK the contours out and import them in Civil 3D to get the volumes. But it is a lot of work and will not be done quickly.

Edited by Tyke

Thanks tyke,

I have the drawing in pdf format, & converted it into dwg format Thats why the scale & other things changed.

I've just had a look at your drawing and you can forget using Civil 3D. Your drawing it is in 2D with all the contours with an elevation of 0.00. Simply put, the quality of your drawing is terrible. It isn't even to scale, the 150 m scale bar in the legend is 44.5333 m long. Has the drawing been scanned as the only text in the drawing is "Unregistered Version - http://www.anydwg.com" every thing else is just polylines and every thing is on one layer.

The only thing you could do is to elevate each contour to its correct elevation, filling all the gaps in the contours, and then use the LOFT command to create a solid and get the volume of the solid from its properties. Or alternatively elevate the contours, bring the drawing to scale and WBLOCK the contours out and import them in Civil 3D to get the volumes. But it is a lot of work and will not be done quickly.

It is not clear to me from your drawing what is being cut and what is being filled. You can approximate volumes from a 2D topo map like yours by multiplying the area of each contour outline by the elevation value between contours. For your drawing I would do the following:

1. Scale the drawing so that it is full size. Do this by measuring the distance in AutoCAD of a known distance and divide it by the distance DIST tells you then scale te drawing accordingly. If you have no given reference points on your topo map you can use identifiable points such as the top of hill and correlate that back to a scale map.

2. Edit contour lines so that each is a closed polyline. You can do this by using PEDIT. For some contour lines just using the C option (close) will be sufficient. For others you will need to add vertices and join segments.

3. Use the AREA Object command to calculate the area of the polyline. For better results use the average area of two adjacent contour lines as the effective area and multiply that by the elevation between contour lines.

4. For a cut and fill analysis calculate before and after volumes and calculate the difference.