procedure for doing a detail on an ANSI A template

jack nastyface

Hi fellow members,

I used to draw on Acad 2000 but I recently changed to Acad 2007. I am completely self taught & do cad very infrequently,so you may imagine I am rusty to say the least. I want to do a fairly simple detail of a part on an ANSI A drawing with a view to getting it CNC'd. Reading through a lot of "help" topics, it looks as if one should draw the part in model space then insert it into a new drawing (in paper space), in which the ANSI A has been imported. Is this correct? Help also infers, it is best to do the dimensioning in paper space??

One other question: the detail has a location hole & I want to add limits to the nominal diameter. How is this done?

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely, Keith.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jack nastyface

• Dana W

• ReMark

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Draw your part, full size, in model space. When you are ready then switch to a paper space layout. Create one, or more, viewports as required. It is the viewport that a scale is assigned to and not the geometry back in model space. Remember that the viewport is only a window that allows the user to look back into model space to see the objects that were created.

As for where you place your dimensions and text you have two options. They can be placed in model space but it would be wise to use annotative scaling if you are going to do this. They can also be placed in your layout. Note that annotative scaling is not required if your text and dimensions are placed in your layout. Each option has its own pros and cons so I would recommend reading up on each and/or experiment with each before deciding which one to use.

Regarding viewports...http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72972-Things-you-should-know-about-Viewports.&highlight=viewport+scale

Regarding setting viewport scale...http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72213-Viewports-and-Setting-Scale&highlight=viewports

Edited by ReMark

...one should draw the part in model space then insert it into a new drawing (in paper space), in which the ANSI A has been imported.

One other question: the detail has a location hole & I want to add limits to the nominal diameter.

1. No new drawing needed. Model space and paper space exist in same file.

2. Dimension styles.

Annotative scaling was first introduced in the 2008 release, it is not available in the 2007 release. Paperspace is probably the best place for dimensions, unless one knows all about text styles and dimension styles and how they have to be different sizes in modelspace depending on the viewport scale. In paperspace, dimensions and text only have to be the size you want them to be once printed on paper.

Execute the Options command and investigate the contents of the various tabs. For paperspace dimensions to work well, they should be associative. There is a check box on the Options >> User Preferences tab that will set a system variable so all dimensions you make will be associative. You can also set this variable directly by typing dimassoc in the command line and setting the value to 2. This is an environmental variable in that it is not stored in the drawing, but in your working environment, so it will also affect new dimensions in subsequent drawings you work on.

I like the way Remark explains the concept of a viewport. The paperspace layout is nothing more than your piece of drawing paper, and the viewport is nothing more than a resizeable hole in the paper you can look through. It works like the matte board in a framed picture. It's like holding up the matte board and viewing your house through it. Assuming you are standing far enough away, you can see the entire house in the frame, thus the view is "scaled". If your subject is a teacup, you can view it at full size, or even bigger.

I believe the OP has misunderstood something about the relationship of paperspace to modelspace that should be made perfectly clear. I mean specifically the part about moving to a new drawing, in paperspace. Moving to a new drawing is the part that is incorrect. It is not necessary, and not in the least recommended. Every drawing has its own paperspace (layout tabs). There may have been something in the reference material about moving the ANSI A border and title block to a new drawing by inserting it as a "block" on a layout. This can be done through the Design Center which, I think was a bugles, drums, and cannon introduction in the 2007 release, but I could be wrong.

If the Design center is not in 2007, the border and title block can be copied and pasted from one drawing to another by opening both drawings together in your one AutoCad session. OR, you can start your drawing using an ANSI A template drawing if there is one available and saving it as something uh, like My New Drawing.dwg. Note the dwg file extension, different than the dwt file extension on the templates. The Design center is nothing more than a dialog box that allows you to navigate to any other drawings and pick and choose from things for copying to your drawing. Things like ANSI standard blocks for detail callouts, title blocks, dimension styles, text styles, etc., or even entire drawings.

As far as putting limits on your hole diameter, the dimension style editor offers an option to add tolerance notation to dimensions.

Edited by Dana W

Thanks guys for your fast response.

As far as I can see the ANSI A title block only comes up when clicking on "New" & it then opens a list of templates. When opening any of them they appear in paper space which will suit me fine. I have never dimensioned before in paper space so this will be a good opportunity to try. I now see that if I create a new dimension style for either leaders or hole dimensions with tolerances I should be able to finish my detail A size. Thanks again. This truly is a place where beginners can ask basic questions.

Keith.

There are thirteen different ANSI template files that come standard with AutoCAD. If you open the ANSI Layout template file it includes eight differently sized layouts to chose from.

Perhaps someone can un-confuse me. :?

How does a CNC machine read dimensions? :?

How does it use paper space? :?

Perhaps the only thing to do is to draw it at full scale in model space, and save the linework only as a DXF file.

Guys,

You are talking to an octogenarian:cry: Ever heard of a drawing board & drafting machine?:lol: Eldon, I want to make a pdf of my finished A size drawing & send it to a local machine shop to have the part CNC'd. How you tell a machine how to do it I have no idea. It is all technology which came in after I retired.

Keith.

The drawing board is paper space, where the line work is scaled to plot on paper.

Everything should be drawn to full scale in model space, where one drawing unit equals one inch / foot (or whatever you like). Draw everything to the required dimensions.

I am sure that the machine shop would welcome a DXF file. If you send them a PDF drawing, then they will have to draw it out themselves to your dimensions. There is potential for errors in reading dimensions and the outcome may not be as you desired.

I see no benefit in giving them a fancy looking drawing.

Perhaps someone can un-confuse me. :?

How does a CNC machine read dimensions? :?

How does it use paper space? :?

Perhaps the only thing to do is to draw it at full scale in model space, and save the linework only as a DXF file.

There's that archaic piece of equipment that often interferes with the CNC machine by insisting on being involved in the process called "The Person That Needs a Picture".;)

Guys,

You are talking to an octogenarian:cry: Ever heard of a drawing board & drafting machine?:lol: Eldon, I want to make a pdf of my finished A size drawing & send it to a local machine shop to have the part CNC'd. How you tell a machine how to do it I have no idea. It is all technology which came in after I retired.

Keith.

Hah, I started with a board and T square, sitting on a backless stool. and I hadda walk to work barefoot, in the snow, and it was uphill both ways.:lol:You should search up the "You know You're an Old Droughtsman When..." thread in the chat forum. You could probably add a few tidbits.

:lol::lol::lol::thumbsup: Yeah! I remember a tee square too, & a print machine with a carbon arc kinda light. The original velum was captured in a curved plexi glass frame along with sensitive print paper. The light came down slowly in front of the frame to fix the print. Circa 1951. I was 18. It all seems like a dream.

Will check out the chat. Thanks for the laugh.

Keith.

:lol::lol::lol::thumbsup: Yeah! I remember a tee square too, & a print machine with a carbon arc kinda light. The original velum was captured in a curved plexi glass frame along with sensitive print paper. The light came down slowly in front of the frame to fix the print. Circa 1951. I was 18. It all seems like a dream.

Will check out the chat. Thanks for the laugh.

Keith.

My first blueprints, actually blue line prints came off a Bruning Diazo process machine that used 25% anhydrous ammonia fumes to "fix" the prints. Holey **** what a smell. That was in 1971. It looked just like this one.

bruning.jpg

My first blueprints, actually blue line prints came off a Bruning Diazo process machine that used 25% anhydrous ammonia fumes to "fix" the prints. Holey **** what a smell. That was in 1971. It looked just like this one.

Yes Dana, the same machine my company was using just before I retired in 1998. It did the job but should have been sent to a museum.

Now finished the drawing & must say that I had never used the limits option in "dimension style" before. Where I need to practice more is in the paper space & "viewports".

My first bluelines were chiseled into bluestone. I gave a copy to Moses. I told him to take two tablets and hail me in the morning.
Now, I know that's a fib. Which bluestone? Bluestone is a generic term invented by the guy who first decided to try and use the little chunks of stone for driveways.:lol:

These below are all bluestone. Tell Moses I said "Hey".

basalt in Victoria, Australia and in New Zealand;

the dolerite of Stonehenge in Britain.

a feldspathic sandstone in the U.S. and Canada;

limestone in the Shenandoah Valley in the USA, from the Hainaut quarries in Soignies, Belgium and from quarries in County Carlow, County Galway and County Kilkenny in Ireland;

and slate in South Australia.

Edited by Dana W

Our house has bluestone for the sills of all the basement windows. Some of the sidewalks in the area of town where I live are slabs of bluestone.

Our house has bluestone for the sills of all the basement windows. Some of the sidewalks in the area of town where I live are slabs of bluestone.

The sills are probably the basaltic kind, like concrete slab underlay gravel. Most other varieties will flake apart like a country biscuit. The sidewalks may be slate.

How the heck did we get from ANSI A to gravel in one thread.:lol:

The sills are probably the basaltic kind, like concrete slab underlay gravel. Most other varieties will flake apart like a country biscuit. The sidewalks may be slate.

How the heck did we get from ANSI A to gravel in one thread.:lol:

I was thinking the same thing. I have not posted on this forum for years. Are you sure we will not have the moderators on our tails for deviating from topic?:lol: I used to post in a ship modeling forum & was sometimes taken to task by the gendarmes.

Keith.