Trim a roof

zionshea

I have a simple rectangle roof and want to trim the roof in one of its side (like using "subtract" with mass-elements). What is the best way to do it?

In several places I see answers regarding surface option - I do not know how this option can be used with roofs.

thanks

zionshea

Is the object an ACA "roof" object, or is it a simple solid or surface in AutoCAD? If the latter, two possibilities are to edit the object with Grips and Subobject selection, and/or SLICE command (with or without a surface as a cutting edge) A screenshot would be helpful... a dwg file even better.

It is a "roof" object. A simple rectangle roof with 4 side 30 degree slopes.

As said, I want to cut out one of the roof sides - so I will be able to add a wall and a door in that side.

I don't use AutoCAD Architecture much, but I believe there should be a "Cut" tool on the Ribbon when the Slab roof is selected. Once the Cut tool is started, the command line should provide prompts how to make the cut.

Yes. The first, I answered and the second - I could not find a "cut" tool on the ribbon - unless you can guide me find it. I found several answers from you regarding surface option, I will appreciate if you could guide on where I can find it. Thanks.

Nothing in the Help file?

The option you refer to is a native AutoCAD command called SLICE. One of its options is the ability to slice with a surface.

SliceOfRoof1.jpg

SLICE using the SURFACE option.

This is for demonstration purposes only. I am not an architect.

The red line at the rear of the second structure shown above is extruded to create a surface which is shown passing through the roof of the third structure. This surface is used to slice the roof and both sides are retained. The portion of the roof colored green on the fourth structure is then deleted leaving you with the fifth structure shown.

Visual style: 2dwireframe. The structure is a 3Dsolid.

SliceOfRoof2.jpg

Partial view of the rear showing the slicing plane (surface) the portion of the roof (green) to be erased after the slice has been completed and the result.

Visual style: Conceptual.

ReMark, the problem is that a Roof AEC Object cannot use traditional AutoCAD commands. You would have to explode the object, which "dumb's" it down to mere solid geometry.

Here is a good place to start in the Help file regarding the AEC Roof Editing tools:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadarchitecture/enu/online-help/search#WScedd0d2069f88934137c60dfa2566c4c1-7ff8.htm

Maybe the answer can be found here. HTH

I have to admit complete ignorance on the subject of Roof AEC Objects as it pertains to AutoCAD Architecture. My intent was merely to help the OP after he failed to receive a viable solution from anyone knowledgeable with the program.

As I stated previously, I'm not an ACA user, (this is my first "roof" ever) but as soon as I selected a "Roof Slab" the ribbon gave many options to modify the roof slab. In the animation below, I chose "Hole" and used a closed polyline to simulate a chimney extending up the wall and through the roof. I have no idea if that's a proper technique. Pressing "F1" while hovering a tool should bring up context sensitive Help about the tool.

ACA Roof Slab Hole.gif

That's because you used a Roof Slab, which is different than a Roof in ACA. Maybe that's the ticket? Good screencast nestly, as always. :)

*EDIT*

Now that my memory has jogged a bit, I do remember you have to covert to a Roof Slab before any advanced Roof editing can be done. This has got to be the missing step. Just don't use ACA anymore... Thank goodness.

:)

Edited by tzframpton