XREF Layers Not Appearing In Layer Dialog Box

themaninaisle5

I have a drawing with an XREF linked into it, which in turn, also has several XREFs linked into it. On the primary XREF drawing I have created several layers, placed several objects on them, and everything is displaying just fine in the drawing once I XREF it in. The problem that has arisen has been that all the layers that I created previously appear just fine in the list of layers, but the newly created ones don't. The objects that are on the layers are displaying just fine in Modelspace, but the layers aren't present. When I've tried freezing all the layers (go to the layer dialog menu, select all the layers and freeze them), the objects remain on the screen. I really need for these to appear in the layer list so I can manipulate them later, so any help you guys can provide would be immensely helpful.

Thanks!

I'm struggling to follow the detail in your post (it's been a hard week!)

Check your layer manager and see if you have any of the filters selected. Ideally you want it on all to see all layers in all drawings. Also check that Invert filter at the bottom isn't checked.

layerman.jpg

Sorry, I reread that and realized that it came out as a bit of a mess

Drawing A is the one I'm working on

Drawing B is the one I've created objects on and is being XREF into Drawing A

Drawings C D & E are drawings that have been XREF into drawing B (nothing wrong with them, just including them for completeness)

I've created the layers on drawing B, and when I XREF it into Drawing A, the objects I created appear just fine in modelspace, but the layers don't appear in any of the lists. I've included screen shots in case that might help. And I don't have any filters on as far as I know.

Drawing B layers.png

Drawing A Layers.png

Just to be sure they aren't on layers 0 or defpoints are they? Other than that I'm at a loss and have to shoot off now so hopefully someone else here can help. Try uploading stripped down drawings to drop box (until you have 10 posts you can't upload here) and I can take a look in the morning if nobody else can help.

I wonder how that number was arrived at as the maximum value. If the total number of layers exceeds that setting, they will not be displayed in the chosen sorted order.

Other things to check:

Make sure the XREF was saved.

Make sure it has been reloaded.

Restart AutoCAD.

Check the variable MAXSORT, set it up to the max "32767" and see if they display.

That did it. It was set to 1000 originally, and they're all showing up now. Thanks!

Glad you remembered that variable Murph_map I've been trying to find that one again after I used it a couple of years ago to fix our engineers computer. He got a new computer, same problem with his drawings and I couldn't remember it.

Sorry I couldn't be more use themaninaisle5!

Just to be sure they aren't on layers 0 or defpoints are they? Other than that I'm at a loss and have to shoot off now so hopefully someone else here can help. Try uploading stripped down drawings to drop box (until you have 10 posts you can't upload here) and I can take a look in the morning if nobody else can help.

That is incorrect, the only limits on New Members are for Private Messaging and External Links need Approval.