Modelling a 3d car with autocad

Davidak

Hello Davidak, based on your teapot and the car you wanted to model, maybe you should not rush things and model a car right away. Modeling requires more practice and techniques can be learned from those time of practice. Maybe model everyday things instead of a car, like TV, laptop or other furniture. Good luck and don't forget to post here what you modeled.

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davidak

• ReMark

• mikekmx

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suggest looking at some youtube videos of how cars are modeled with 3DS Max such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQtvRZN3Sk

The technique often used is to set up two or three orthographic views of the car on principal 3D planes and then to manipulate a mesh with the goal of reconciling the location of mesh vertices with the orthographic views of the car.

Review the concepts and commands available for mesh modeling with AutoCAD by doing a search on "mesh". You will find the following topics: About Creating Meshes, About Modifying Meshes, etc. This topic is not for the newbie to AutoCAD.

If you are happy with a crude representation of a car you can use considering using commands such as loft, sweep, surfsculpt, and Boolean operations.

Good luck!

I suggest looking at some youtube videos of how cars are modeled with 3DS Max such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQtvRZN3Sk

The technique often used is to set up two or three orthographic views of the car on principal 3D planes and then to manipulate a mesh with the goal of reconciling the location of mesh vertices with the orthographic views of the car.

Review the concepts and commands available for mesh modeling with AutoCAD by doing a search on "mesh". You will find the following topics: About Creating Meshes, About Modifying Meshes, etc. This topic is not for the newbie to AutoCAD.

If you are happy with a crude representation of a car you can use considering using commands such as loft, sweep, surfsculpt, and Boolean operations.

Good luck!

just did. 3 x 50mins sessions for an expert! waaay too much work for my liking!

Hopefully he has been working on some teapots and smaller models. You need to learn how to walk before you can run. If you don't have a really good understanding of the tools, commands and modeling techniques, you're going to have a really hard time trying to create something like a car. You might be able to create something that looks like a cereal box on wheels, but not the type of car the OP wants to create.

That seems a far cry from what you said you wanted to model back in post #20. What made you change your mind?

Well, we all have to start somewhere right? Did you take a look at the last link JD Mather posted regarding a car modeling tutorial he wrote?

this is what I have been able to model(i know terrible!). No windows yet[ATTACH=CONFIG]51446[/ATTACH]

i'd say for a basic shape that is a very good start. some wheel arches added, fenders, lights etc will add to the look. maybe radius the edges a bit more.

i think the wheels look great on it.

I'm not satisfied with the way I got the shape i.e extruding top, side, front and back views, intersecting and converting to surface. I feel like there should me a more technical way using surfaces or mesh

Not bad, now work on presentation style. I would add a few more lights, change the view to perspective (not parallel). Work on materials a bit as well. A very good start :thumbsup: