Desktop Specs

DonovanPorter

Hi guys

i have been running AutoCAD 2014 and have upgraded to 2015.

i have been experiencing lag issues to the point where the program hangs up to 10 - 20 seconds, sometimes resulting in a fatal error.

my pc specs are the following.

Intel i5 - 3330 CPU @3.00GHz

memory - 8.00GB

64 bit operating system

computer score.

processor - 7.5

Ram - 7.6

Graphics - 5.2

Gaming Graphics - 6.4

Primary Hard Disk - 5.9

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

do you think my pc is under spec'd ?

if so what would be best to upgrade for best performance ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonovanPorter

• ReMark

• f700es

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is the PC. It could be a network issue.

Are you on a network?

What are you doing when it lags?

Have you tried to repair the installation?

Lag issues?

Did you disable the CommCenter (also known as the InfoCenter)?

Is hardware acceleration enabled?

I would wait on running the REPAIR option until such time as you have ruled out all other possible causes of the problem.

We are running on a net work. But have tried work solely from my pc results are the same. My graphics card does not allow hardware acceleration. I'll try switching I fo centre off though.

Might be worth mentioning that we have5 pc's in the office all similar specs and all eccperiance similar lagging issues

Are all systems up-to-date with service packs?

Are these 2D or 3D drawings?

What is the average file size?

What else is running in the background?

The nVidia GeForce GT 620 is a poor choice for a CAD system as it consistently ranks at or near the bottom of the chart in performance.

Service pack 1 is installed on the machines. 2d drawings. No other programs other than outlook mabe word or excel. Sizes vary between 3-6 megs

You're trying to push around 3-6MB drawings with an entry level card. That could be one possible part of the problem. I'd upgrade one of the machines with a better graphics card and see what happens. If performance improves then the other machines should be upgraded as well.

3-6MB 2D drawings? What exactly do you draw? I've created some complex 3D drawings that are under that file size.

Any chance these drawings contain content that originated in Microstation?

What have you done to try and reduce the overall file size of a drawing?

What OS is being used on these computers?

water treatment plants, piping and mechanical. i myself purge and audit my drawings during the course of drawing. i have just recently looked into the title blocks and they are approximately 500kb, having a look now , the .dwt is 500kb but the dwg of the same title block is 3meg ?? not sure why that is..

no microstation here , we generate all our drawings in house and with AutoCAD.

how can i reduce the size of my title blocks?

they only contain annotative dimensioning and text, 16 layers and 4 line types. and then obviously the above mentioned title block.

Your title block alone is 3MB? That seems absurdly high to me. Is there an image file attached maybe for the company logo?

When you purge do you use the command line version of purge and purge Regapps first followed by a purge > all?

Have you ever run the OVERKILL command on one of these drawings?

What OS is being used?

I assume you are using a number of blocks in each drawing. Is that correct? Who created the blocks?

yea title block is large. iit does contain a company logo but is only 600kb in size.

i often overkill my drawings with regards to block well we have a set of blocks which i have personal cleaned and checked to be as clean and small as possible.

windows 7 is the operating system on all machines.

Let's cut to the chase. Can you post a file? Delete any company info, if necessary.

If it's too big to post directly, upload it to DropBox.

When you purge do you use the command line version of purge and purge Regapps first followed by a purge > all?

i only know of purging via the command line...and purge all .

it might be valuble to note that we do run on AutoCAD 2015LT

The version of the purge command I speak of is this: -purge. Note the presence of the dash.

Do you purge Regapps first? Yes or No?

I doubt that your use of AutoCAD LT has anything to do with the problem.

Windows 7 64-bit. I see. Are you willing to try something? Do you have a spare, empty flash drive available or one that has at least 1GB of free space available?

A simple purge of Regapps reduced the file size from 3.65MB to 504KB. I did not purge anything else as there was no need to.

Unfortunately the logo did not come along for the ride when you uploaded the file to Dropbox. Without the logo I can't troubleshoot the drawing any further.