Block cannot be exploded, has no name, and if opened in Block Editor is empty

Karnak

****RESOLVED****

Hi all, this is my first post as thankfully any time I have got stuck someone has had the same problem before me.

This problem is a strange one - I cannot explode a block, or edit it in any way. In the Properties tab there is no name for the block. If opened in block editor there is nothing there.

Annoyingly, if you BE, there is a block there called MOD that is this block, but if you attempt to edit it, it actually has this no named block nested in it. Which you cannot explode or edit.

I have attached the drawing, moved everything else to one side, and inserted the offending block at 0,0

Also, I must stress, I did not do this drawing, I am trying to use/fix it for our own purposes and I'm still new at all this :)

Please can someone help with this? I'll have to redraw it otherwise, and I'm lazy

Good luck with this, and thanks

Karnak

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turns out that this block and only this block was not updating when edited, and screwing up. have to close/reopen the drawing (regen doing nowt) to get it to work.... Purging that block asap

Plant Layout 9046-1.dwg

Edited by Karnak
Stuff

What edits do you want to make to block MOD?

Not much really, it has some drag/drop references in it, which is annoying, so was just really tidying things up along with remove some centerline refs etc.

Thanks for getting back to me, but as edited below, it's working enough now so that I can delete it. - hopefully it wont happen again

The MOD block contains 922 objects which seems like kind of a lot. There are two duplicate objects and 61 overlapping objects. It could stand to be cleaned up and made more efficient. Other than that even after running -purge on the drawing no unreferenced blocks were detected even after exploding a copy of the block. Ghosts in the machine?

Yeah that was my thinking,

That plus Murphys law was in effect, so of course it worked first time once I asked for help :)

Thanks ReMark

You might want to consider running OVERKILL on the entire portion of the drawing that was sent you. I found an additional 1047 objects of which 22 were duplicates and 108 were overlapping.

Then for good measure I'd run the -purge command, purge Regapps first, repeat -purge and do a purge > all.

Finally I would run an Audit on the drawing as well. Tell AutoCAD to fix any database errors it may find.

I have never used OVERKILL before, great tool that.

Drawing is slowly getting to a point where I'm proud to put my name on it. ;)

Thanks for the great help

KArnak