publish PDF - name of PDF's

philsogood

hello

i'm priting my drafts with PUBLISH to a PDF file

i'would like to change the name of the PDF : the name would start by the name of the tab and finish by the name of the file

How can i lmake this possible?

Phil

PS : sorry, i need to increase my Acad vocabulary in english which is quite poor yet (i'm working on a French version)

On the publish dialog, click publish options, click the naming line and select "Prompt for name". Then, before the file is saved to the folder, you will see a dialog where you can type in a pdf file name to save it as.

hello

PS : sorry, i need to increase my Acad vocabulary in english which is quite poor yet (i'm working on a French version)

You did fine. Better than some who only know English.

On the publish dialog, click publish options, click the naming line and select "Prompt for name". Then, before the file is saved to the folder, you will see a dialog where you can type in a pdf file name to save it as.

I believe that is opposite of what the OP wants. That would be manually entering the name for each sheet.

the name would start by the name of the tab and finish by the name of the file

If you select "Specify Name" it will name the files with no input from user, but, it names them - and I believe you want -.

If the default order is not acceptable, I believe you will need a LISP solution, find another PDF Plotter that allows to set up automatic naming or as Dana W points out, manually enter the names.

Philsogood, (what the h*ll does that mean?):lol: If you had not said something, I'd have never known that English is not your first language. I studied French for 4 years in school, and I still have no clue. Personally, I think that having to learn the French language is why the French people start drinking wine at such a young age.:rofl:

I believe that is opposite of what the OP wants. That would be manually entering the name for each sheet.
No, it's manually entering the name for each File, or sheet, depending on the multi-sheet file option. That is the best there is for custom publish(ed) file names without a lisp program, like you said. I didn't see any indication that the process needed to be automated. Of course, me not working in a mass production environment, I don't reflexively think that way.

(And the whole process is a bit more clearly laid out.)

If you select "Specify Name" it will name the files with no input from user, but, it names them - and I believe you want -.

If the default order is not acceptable, I believe you will need a LISP solution, find another PDF Plotter that allows to set up automatic naming or as Dana W points out, manually enter the names.

One thing to think about is that putting the layout name first will make the files sort weird in the directory view. If one is keeping many backup copies of these pdf files(which I do), they should sort by Project/Drawing name, then layout name.

As a sub-contractor, I would not dare ship out a CAD file without also keeping a copy of the pdf file as I submitted, plot stamped with username, time, and date.

Twice in the last five years, with two different (once only) clients, I have had to prove who changed a dwg file last, so I could get my money for a drawing I did NOT break.

One thing to think about is that putting the layout name first will make the files sort weird in the directory view.

Stating the obvious here but that would depend on the layout name. It could be that the OP has already implemented the naming convention and is happy with it. Now, he wants to automate it.

Aren't there file re-naming utilities that could help with this?

Stating the obvious here but that would depend on the layout name. It could be that the OP has already implemented the naming convention and is happy with it. Now, he wants to automate it.

Aren't there file re-naming utilities that could help with this?

Yeah, I am sure it is already set up the way the OP wants it. Just sayin'. You mean the whole world doesn't name the layouts, One, Two, Three, Four, etc.?

It would help if the OP would mention something about Automation of the process. I never did get that.

hi

sorry for being so late to anwer i had differents tasks to do before

yes my layout are numbers which are the number of the draw 001... 151... with the "indice" of the draw A, B... C2...

unfortunately i do not know lisp enough to be able to create a program to do a such thing... (i a lisp professional with (command)!! :) )

thanks for your advicess

Phil