Scale list question

Chesterjester

All,

Just a quick question. In the past I could type in the scale I wanted for my viewport. Ideal when drawing not to scale so I could just type in 135, for example and my viewport would be scaled 1:135, great!

Now though, I have the scalelist.

I appreciate that the scale list can be edited and I can set myself a new scale to add to the list but my scale list gets longer and to be fair I dont need the (in)convenience of a list when I would prefer to just type in the number each time (incase 1:135 wasnt the size I needed it was 1:138!).

So there you go, I'd rather type in my scale than pick it from a list, anyone got any ideas or am I just getting old?

You're talking about typing in a scale factor using Zoom > Scale > nX or nXP. Yes, you are getting older but it is at the same pace as everyone else so I wouldn't worry much about it.

BTW...the one you are specifying does not seem to be one that is commonly used. What are you drawing and why did you pick that particular one?

Not quite ReMark,

A box would appear when clicking scale that would allow you to simply enter a number manually without having to go through the command line.

Can only think it was a routine that was added to our templates sometime.

Are you drawing in meters or millimeters?

As far as I can remember there was no box but maybe I've forgotten it. I stopped using scale factors the first year the scalelist was introduced.

Maybe it was a custom lisp routine that did the conversion for the user. I found an online version if you are interested.

Sorry ReMark,

I didn't answer your question!

I work in civils and produce a lot of maps for the public to read so its often handy to scale the mapbase so that its easy to read without necessarily being scaleable. So whilst I might want to produce a working drawing at a correct scale for construction crews I also need to draw for the general public so it juts needs to look the part.

Thasnk again!

We're all in metric over here in the UK,

An online version would be appreciated if you could point me in the right direction (and a spell checker too looking at my last reply!)

I worked in the civil engineering field for a while and even maps that were handed out to the public used, for the most part, a recognizable scale. Of course all maps also included a scale bar for those times when a common scale just wouldn't do.

The website...https://www.ualberta.ca/~fmweb/Facilities_Management/OtherImages/scale.html

Thanks again ReMark,

Yep, in the main we use scaled maps but on occaision we fill the paperspace on our templates with part of a larger map that quite often fits anywhere between 1:1250 and 1:2500. This means the map is either zoomed to much and misses the edges of what I'm trying to illustrate or zooms to far and the map gets surrounded by empty space.

A lisp routine must've been there in the past as I cant remember using the function for a couple of years unless Autodesk removed it in favour of the scalelist!

I believe you're referencing the Viewports toolbar (see attached) it's still there in "AutoCAD" and I expect it's still available in the Verticals as well, but here's the rub. If you use anything related to Annotative Scaling, you have to use the Scale List (proper name is Annotative Scale List) otherwise the CANNOSCALE and the VPSCALE do not remain synchronized and Annotative Scaling does not work. Same is true for any of the ZOOM commands/options... they only zoom the view/viewport, they will not update the CANNOSCALE, so Annotative scaling does not work (unless you manually synchronize the CANNOSCALE by another method)

Viewports toolbar.jpg

Not quite nestly,

I could select from the scale and would get 2 options; INFINITY or CUSTOM.

Clicking CUSTOM would then open a scale box for me to type in the scale I wanted just like below:

Scale 2.png

Scale 3.png

I can get the above using an old drawing I have but the scale is 'AutoCAD 3D MAP space' (option in paperspace) and not the view port in the paperspace which still shows its scale list.

There was a time I could click into the viewport and the scale options would be as described above (where the scale list now resides) I'd click CUSTOM enter my factor that would best fit the viewport frame, making a custom scale factor for the view in the viewport quick and easy (even if it was a normal scale such as 100 (1:100)

Can only assume it was a routine written based on the AutoCAD 3D MAP space option.

Scale 1.jpg