Extending & Trimming - why does this happen?

Guitte

Hi Guys,

When opening a drawing i was busy with a week ago and want to carry on. How does it happen that some of the lines doesn't want to trim or extend checking the Z-axis, the EDGEMODE put it to 0 and 1 also select trim/right click/project/none, everything good. Still doesn't trim. Im not sure if it might be if someone else is opening my drawing that settings might change somehow. Any advice?

Thanks.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guitte

• ReMark

• steven-g

• Tharwat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think i know why this happens. The lines where i want to trim or extend to, is not on the z-axis set to 0. What blows my mind is that i cant figure out when going back to my previous drawings find that some of the lines are not set to 0 on the z-axis.:glare:

The Z value shouldn't have any affect on the trim command, unless your UCS is altered. Can you post a drawing showing the lines that need to be trimmed and the lines that should be used to trim too. It could be that your UCS has changed for some reason.

You can check any of the vertical steel posts (blue lines), some of them i did check that is where my previous "conclusion" post came from. Where the 2 posts meet there is a 30mm gap, that is where i found the problem.

The macro

^C^Cm;0,0;0,0,1E99;m;p;;0,0;0,0,-1E99;

will work in this case to bring all your geometry to Z=0. Though you need to be very careful when you use this macro as to the sort of objects that you select because sometimes it can have a negative effect on drawings. (You need to select the items before running the macro - and I would recommend always using it on a copy of your drawing, just to be safe).

I'll try the Macro cautiously, thank you Steven-g. One last question, can it happen when someone else is using your drawing that it might change some settings on it?

The Macro i copied and paste in the command line, telling me its an unknown command. Is there something else i need to do to make it work?

Steven-g, i have tried the Macro out. Copy and paste it in the command line, tells me it an unknown command. Do i need to do something else to make it work?

You have to run the macro from a toolpalette or create a new command in the CUI, if you want to drop it straight into the command line then you need to use the script version (NOTE there is a space after the word previous to accept the selection)

move
0,0,1E99
move
previous 
0,0,-1E99

Check the Z values before and after running the script of the objects you mentioned before that had the wrong Z values. Though as I mentioned before the Z value shouldn't effect how the trim/extend command works.

Dear Steven, i have run the macro "^C^Cm;0,0;0,0,1E99;m;p;;0,0;0,0,-1E99;". Going to properties the start and end Z value is -1.0E+99 and Delta Value is 0. Trim still doesn't want to play along. My first attempt I have tried the toolpallete with your other macro

move

0,0,1E99

move

previous

0,0,-1E99

Not sure how to use it and cant paste it in the CUI command macro space. :geek:

which are the lines that won't trim or extend, can you post a screen shot or a marked up drawing, you're drawing has a lot of lines and I can't find where you mean