How to wrap an image around a cylinder?

Kuli24

Hey. I can't seem to figure out how to wrap an image around a cylinder in AutoCad 2012. Cylindrical mapping doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm wanting to pretty much apply a decal onto the stainless steel material I have applied.

Thanks.

It is a little bit tricky:

First you have to import the jpeg into AutoCAD. I used the program DT-ImageToPixelSolid (by Mr. Holger Brische, http://www.d-tool.eu) for this.

Then I transformed the "PIXELs" (small 4point-SOLIDs) onto the 3d-surface area, using my PIC2REVSURF.lsp

The result is a very heavy file, about 26 MB.

In case of interest you can contact me.

Regards

Jochen

decal.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51499[/ATTACH]

This was done in AutoCAD using an image of the label found on the Internet.

Did you use the method described in the previous post or a different one?

Thanks.

No, I did not use the method as described by scj which I consider to be too involved for a simple cylinder such as I have shown.

I have a correction to make. I did not find the image of the Coke label on the Internet. It was provided by another forum member in response to my offer of help in a thread devoted to texturing a cylinder. The member's name was manumzo.

I have not used AutoCAD 2012 for some time but the process is similar to what you would do with more recent versions.

1. Open the Materials Browser palette and create a new material and choose New Generic Material for the Type and give it a name.

2. In the Materials Browser click on the Image box and then select the .jpg file. Note that the default scale for the width and height is probably 12.0.

3. Drag the material from the Materials Browser pallete to the object.

4. Change the material Mapping to cylindrical.

5. Open the Texture Editor again by double-clicking the image in the Materials Editor pallete and change the scale to 1.0 and see what that does. Increase or decrease this number to get the results you want.

It is best to start with the object oriented with its axis parallel to the WCS Z axis.

I have not used AutoCAD 2012 for some time but the process is similar to what you would do with more recent versions.

1. Open the Materials Browser palette and create a new material and choose New Generic Material for the Type and give it a name.

2. In the Materials Browser click on the Image box and then select the .jpg file. Note that the default scale for the width and height is probably 12.0.

3. Drag the material from the Materials Browser pallete to the object.

4. Change the material Mapping to cylindrical.

5. Open the Texture Editor again by double-clicking the image in the Materials Editor pallete and change the scale to 1.0 and see what that does. Increase or decrease this number to get the results you want.

It is best to start with the object oriented with its axis parallel to the WCS Z axis.

That's exactly what I had done. Problem is that 1. the material doesn't show up when rendering and 2. the material is generic, not the stainless steel that I wanted to apply the sticker onto.

Inventor includes a decal feature. As far as I know AutoCAD does not have this feature. I used the follow approach with AutoCAD to apply a "decal" to an object. I assigned a library material to the object (for example, stainless steel) and then created a new material called My Label and assigned it to a copy of part of the orginal object.

Cans-Rendered.jpeg

In the sequence of images above starting at the left we have:

- Cylinder with only a stainless steel material.

- The second cylinder is the surface of the previous cylinder obtained by making a copy and exploding it then deleting the surfaces that will not have the label. I then created a generic material using an image and a cutout image map. The cutout map is black where the original image should be invisible and white where it is totally opaque.

CAD.JPG

CAD-Cutout.jpg

- The third cylinder shows the combination of the two objects/materials. Since the two objects are precisely on top of each other there is some interference.

- For the fourth cylinder I scale the label cylinder by 1.01 about its center.

Some things to keep in mind with rendering. I find it best to have a couple of spot lights for my scene. If you are not seeing a pattern it is probably because the lighting is washing out the pattern. Change the light intensity to 1/10 or less and re-render. Pattern scale can also affect seeing a pattern. Check the scale of the material. Make it 10 times bigger or smaller and check the results. With shiny materials like polished stainless steel you should have a floor and walls with a material for reflection purposes. Consider placing the object inside a box with colored or patterned walls, floor and ceiling and then use a camera for the final rendering.

A couple more things to remember. Be sure to assign and orient an appropriate mapping option (gizmo) to the object. Obviously for a can you would use cylindrical. Be sure that the scaling and offset values you use for the label cutout image are the same as the label image.

Inventor includes a decal feature. As far as I know AutoCAD does not have this feature. I used the follow approach with AutoCAD to apply a "decal" to an object. I assigned a library material to the object (for example, stainless steel) and then created a new material called My Label and assigned it to a copy of part of the orginal object.

Cans-Rendered.jpeg

In the sequence of images above starting at the left we have:

- Cylinder with only a stainless steel material.

- The second cylinder is the surface of the previous cylinder obtained by making a copy and exploding it then deleting the surfaces that will not have the label. I then created a generic material using an image and a cutout image map. The cutout map is black where the original image should be invisible and white where it is totally opaque.

CAD.JPG

CAD-Cutout.jpg

- The third cylinder shows the combination of the two objects/materials. Since the two objects are precisely on top of each other there is some interference.

- For the fourth cylinder I scale the label cylinder by 1.01 about its center.

Some things to keep in mind with rendering. I find it best to have a couple of spot lights for my scene. If you are not seeing a pattern it is probably because the lighting is washing out the pattern. Change the light intensity to 1/10 or less and re-render. Pattern scale can also affect seeing a pattern. Check the scale of the material. Make it 10 times bigger or smaller and check the results. With shiny materials like polished stainless steel you should have a floor and walls with a material for reflection purposes. Consider placing the object inside a box with colored or patterned walls, floor and ceiling and then use a camera for the final rendering.

Brilliant! This totally makes sense. Thanks a bunch!