reset scale 40 feet eq 1.7 inches

The numbers are not accurate but you can see just how far off the scale is. I rarely ever use autocad so need to set the scale to refelect the feet that each store front in a mall eq the correct scale type. This was a PDF file that was converted to a DWG file so unknown what the true scale it. This is a scan to PDF of a mall and its stores and walkways.

If i have to upload the file to a member to set it then instruct me step by step, I do not mind.

Also, they may want to look at it, and see how the blue dots can be removed. Blue dots are noise from the Scan to PDF which was carried over in the conversion process to DWG conversion.

Thanks for helping me :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• lortech

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SCALE > [R]eference

In a nutshell, Start SCALE command, pick a basepoint, type R to use the reference option. Pick one side of the store front, then the other side of the storefront, then type 40 (40 feet) If it's a Vector based PDF, it's going to be pretty much dead-on. If it's Raster based and you kinda have to guess where the edges of the storefront are, then you may have to fiddle with the scale a few times to get it "close enough"

The plans are existing. I went to us the dimention aligned on a 50 foot wall, and the mearments came out to 1.25 inches and the fonts were HUGE. How do I get scale correct so the measurments of the walls in dimention aligned matches the stated length of the wall in feet on the plans?

Unless your dimstyle is such that it's doesn't reflect drawing units, I believe the answer remains SCALE > Reference

How to Properly Scale and Image after inserting into AutoCAD

Sample video rescaling a PDF plan so a 6 1/2" inch wide garage becomes 25 feet. --> https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/43744d8c-a5d0-4c68-90fb-897e297a1a90

lortech: I have an idea. Attach a copy of the drawing (not an image file; a dwg file) to your next post so we can have a look at it. Thank you.

Nestly's explanation is dead on. Take a known distance and scale the entire drawing using the reference option to make that measurement reflect the correct value.

I run into this all time best practice is to use a door cause you know that distance should be 3'. Since this is a converted PDF you want to place it in model space not paper space. I've made that mistake too many times. Never had a converted PDF come out dead on but most of the time they are close. Lots of annotation on these type of drawings.

I run into this all time best practice is to use a door cause you know that distance should be 3'.

I have to totally disagree. While this is a common size for doors, care should be taken when picking a door for scaling. Use this only if it can be verified or as a last resort. If any other known lengths are available, use one of those. Longer dimensions will give you more accurate results. Always check other areas to make sure the measurements make sense.

For some reason, this reply did not save earlier this morning. I have dropped the file into my new box.com account at

https://app.box.com/s/e5we43m9sno49a3h4z5p

Take a look and see why the scale is soo off. What do I need to delete the noise "blue layer" so, it looks cleaner. The blue dots are probebly lightly colored spects picked up in the copy to pdf conversion. Also, in the future, are there cad algorithims that can straiten out a wall that has a slight deviation in its length? scan to PDF does work "the app took longer" but was not perfect".

The blue layer is just that, its own layer, freeze it, delete it, whatever. You were told how to scale earlier, start the scale command, use All, pick a point anywhere, R for reference, 1.2474, then tell it 50'. Check the dimension and if it is off from 50', say 50'-1' then scale everything again, using 50'-1" as the reference, and 50' for the desired size.

After that you are going to have to do a lot of clean up, not much else can be done when scanning. There are some lisp routines that will change lines at a certain angle or less and set them to 0 or 90. What these programs don't know is which end of the line is the correct starting point.

Using Draftsight for this project.

The msg box said "Unable to delete layer.A layer cannot be delted if it is active,referanced by another element, or layer 0 or def points". Would make it a snap if I can delete this layer, as the noise is the light blue layer.

Does Draftsight have a command 'selectsimilar' picking one object and using this command you can then delete all the noise, I had to run it twice for different objects, or turn all the other layers off and then delete all the specks. Or even just turn off the layer with the noise.

lortech: Perhaps you should have mentioned that you were using Draftsight in your very first post.

Draftsight has the option to Show/Hide, Freeze/Thaw or Lock/Unlock a layer.

SelectSimilar is not a recognized command in Draftsight.

One other difference to note...the free version of Draftsight does not support the use of lisp; the Pro version does.

I would not use this converted drawing for anything other than a reference of sorts. The file size for what is shown is way overblown and the quality of the resultant linework is very poor.

Using AutoCAD I ran the Overkill command on the drawing and it reported back that there were 894 duplicate objects and a staggering 30,431 overlapping objects! Next I ran the command line version of Purge and it said that while there were no unreferenced Regapps (good) it also said the following unreferenced entities were deleted:

1 zero length geometric object

67 blocks

2 layers

4 linetypes

2 text styles

1 dimension style

Next, I ran the Audit command. 42 database errors were found and corrected.

Finally, I deleted the RasterToVector-3 layer (color: cyan).

So far I have only been able to reduce the overall file size from 6.5MB to 5.95MB. Still way too big given what is being shown in my opinion.

Personally, I think you would be better off redrawing what you need from scratch referencing a print of the building floor plan.

To answer your question. DraftSight told that it could not delete the layer for at least one for the reasons on the list. I'm assuming you tried to do it from the layer manager.

Check to see DraftSight has the command LAYDEL. If not, you could isolate the layer and then erase all the objects. You should be able to delete the layer from the layer manager after that.

In Draftsight that would be that would be the DELETELAYER command. Sorry I forgot to add that to my first post re: Draftsight re: SelectSimilar.

This is the sequence....

: DELETELAYER Options: Name, Undo or

Specify layer by selecting entity»

Specified layer: Layer1

WARNING: Layer specified includes entities.

Default: No

Confirm: Do you want to delete layer "Layer1" and all referenced entities?

Specify Yes or No» _Yes

1 layer(s) deleted

To demonstrate what a difference deleting a few layers can make, if you were to delete all the layers with the exception of the following your file size would drop from its original size of 6.5MB to 152KB.

Layers: 0, cable_2_be_placed, Defpoints, and RasterToVector-1.

But the end result is basically the same for quality: poor.

Confirm: Do you want to delete layers "Layer1", "RasterToVector-3" and all referenced entities?

Specify Yes or No» YES

Cannot delete active layer.

0 layer(s) deleted

I did a manual section of one of the blue layer "noise dots". The red/green cross hatch turned into a little square and then selected it. This blue print should have been turned in some time last weekend. I may have to just send in the paper copy of the sight survey into the company.