Modelling a BW Tee to look good in VIEWBASE

Buzza

Hi Guys,

I am not too bad a 3D modelling but have never manged to make a butt weld tee as they are IRL.

Can anyone offer advise on how they would do it?

I have attached some images of how mine turned out, it looks good from top view but in the 3D viewbase you can see the triangular geometry that I used. I do not want this. First I made an elbow and mirrored it so it was more tee like. I then extruded a circle along its length. This left a dip in the top and bottom when i used the UNION command. I then made the triangle shape with poly line/arch and extruded that.

It's obviously not the best way to do it though.

Tee2.jpg

Is there a VIEWBASE setting that would fix it?

Tee.jpg

You went through a lot of work just to make a tee. I would have extruded a couple of circles (one in each direction) then unioned them.

Is it your goal to make the tee look exactly like its real world counterpart? Are you going to hollow the tee out (standard and extra strong wall thicknesses)?

That's how I usually do it ReMark, but it is straight where they join. I would like them exact yes, but I would rather have a "straight" one than the "triangle" one :)

ButtWeldTee.jpg

A couple of views of a 3" butt weld tee that I use.

I'm not so caught up in getting it to look exactly like its real world counterpart. I'm more concerned with getting the O.D., I.D. and face-to-center dimensions correct.

My tees start out like Remarks images, then I fillet the intersection all the way to the edge. Result looks exactly like a butt weld tee. VIEWBASE should project them correctly...if not switch on tangential edges

My tees start out like Remarks images, then I fillet the intersection all the way to the edge. Result looks exactly like a butt weld tee. VIEWBASE should project them correctly...if not switch on tangential edges

I have just tried this thanks. It did show up some lines similar to my method. Turning tangent edges off seemed to do the trick, although it did hide some other geometry I wanted. I'll decide after I have finished the drawing which type look best.

Thanks.

Did you get the results you were hoping for?

BTW, I don't hollow out my fittings unless necessary for details.... hollow pipes and fittings make the drawing file size much larger.

Viewbase-Tee.gif