Unwrapping Surfaces....

greedy86

So....I'm relatively new to 3D modelling.

I've been using AutoCAD for a number of years now and I'm currently working for a Oil and Gas fabrication company.

From time to time we have to produce a profile for cutting tubular pipes. We've software that does the simpler connections - but this one in particular was a little confusing.

So I've attached a screen shot to show you how exactly the clamp goes together....

On the underside of the clamp the tubular is notched in way off the clamp stiffeners.

My question to you is.....if I explode the 3D Solid (of the pipe)....and I manipulate it so I'm only left with the outer diameter of the pipe (showing the notches).....is there anyway I can then unravel/unwrap the surface to get a perfect profile of the pipe?

Your thoughts and views would be greatly appreciated.

King Regards.

Clamp.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greedy86

• ReMark

• SEANT

• scj

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe there is a program available at black-cad that purports to be able to unwrap a surface. I've never tried it though so I cannot vouch for the validity of that claim.

Ah right I see....I've just been on their website and (i'll be honest) kind of understood it.

Not fully enough to download and install the software they're offering.

I thought there might have been a fairly simple command on CAD that would allow me to do such a thing.

Appriciate the speedy response though.

I believe it can be done in Inventor perhaps even in AutoCAD 360 but again I have no direct experience with either. If I had to pick one of the two I'd pick Inventor.

Are you really using AutoCAD 2004?

Ahh right I see - shame I've no access to inventor.

Thanks for your response - would be interested to hear if anyone knows of an AutoCAD command to carry out this task.

The reason why I pointed you at black-cad is there isn't a built-in AutoCAD command that will carry out the task. If there were it certainly wouldn't be in AutoCAD 2004; it would be in a much newer release.

Do you have access to 3ds Max? It has a function called Unwrap UVW that can be used to unfold a body (meaning a mesh I believe).

Ahh....my apologies.

I mis-understood! I thought you just meant that you weren't aware of the command - rather than there isn't one.

It's been a while since I used this forum actually....I'm now on the 2011 version.

I shall update my profile.

Thanks again.

Can you attach that specific part? I'd like to see what happens if I use a UV unwrapping plugin on the cylinder. It would not work for AutoCAD 2004, but should work with 2013.

Edit: Probably will not work for 2011.

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3astsc_uvvectormap_windows32and64%3aen

Use Copy and Paste to bring that one part into a new drawing file.

In a new post use 'Go Advanced' (see lower right of post box). Attach the file via 'Manage Attachments'

MA.jpg

SEANT,

Thanks for that - that is exactly what I'm looking for - however - it's not the same profile as I had already which is a little worrying. Don't get me wrong - it's similar....but it's not right!

SCJ

I've got software that can produce a profile like that - the slots/gaps on the upper face is what I'm requiring the profile for.

I appreciate all your help though.

Errmmmm....it was, to say the least, a very long winded approach.

To cut a long story short - I exploded the 3d object so that I was left with the plan view, on just the top face.

I then "flattened" that face....and then from that - got the arc lengths in order to project the top gaps onto the profile that I'd already had (using other softare).

I'm not even sure you'll understand the method....? Maybe it was just madness.

I just wanted a profile to make sure what I'd done was corrent - before it goes to the shop floor.

Do you have access to 3ds Max? It has a function called Unwrap UVW that can be used to unfold a body (meaning a mesh I believe).

No, the Unwrap UVW does not unfold a mesh. It is used for setting mapping coordinates for applying textures to surfaces.